• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

NSAIDs ,bad for crohns ?

Glad to find forum ,hello to all..I would love your opinion on my dilemma please.
GP sent me into ER ,pain in my right side ,cramps ; cat scan ,operation ,3 cms of small intestine and several cms of large intestine removed because of ulceration, thickened intestine etc..Diagnosis Crohn's disease ! ....for half an hour ,app with GI who decided it was unlikely to be crohns ,I'm 59 .no crohns in family ,no bloody diarrhea,...GI thought it was a one off event from taking too much NSAIDs during extensive dental work ,that I'm part of a small percentage of people that just should not take NSAIDs ..has anybody ever heard of this ? I'm afraid to hope ..recovering from opp .now ,colonoscopy in a few weeks to confirm ( or not ) diagnosis .Thanks to anybody who reads this and can help ,and good health to all .

My doctors will only prescribe me tramadol for pain . Nsaids are digested in the intestines and since mine are compromised they won't give them to me. So I think your answer is yes.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello and welcome

Yes, NSAIDs can cause inflammation and ulcers in the intestines, although its not as common, it can happen in people who don't have crohns, but this would usually be after years of use, so if you only took them for a few months then I think its unlikely that they were the sole cause of your problems. They are a no no for anyone with IBD as our guts are already vulnerable to damage and taking NSAIDs would make this worse, even when only taken for short periods of time.

Glad to find forum ,hello to all..I would love your opinion on my dilemma please.
GP sent me into ER ,pain in my right side ,cramps ; cat scan ,operation ,3 cms of small intestine and several cms of large intestine removed because of ulceration, thickened intestine etc..Diagnosis Crohn's disease ! ....for half an hour ,app with GI who decided it was unlikely to be crohns ,I'm 59 .no crohns in family ,no bloody diarrhea,...GI thought it was a one off event from taking too much NSAIDs during extensive dental work ,that I'm part of a small percentage of people that just should not take NSAIDs ..has anybody ever heard of this ? I'm afraid to hope ..recovering from opp .now ,colonoscopy in a few weeks to confirm ( or not ) diagnosis .Thanks to anybody who reads this and can help ,and good health to all .
It sounds to me like you're asking if NSAIDS can cause crohns like symptoms and I don't know the answer to that. I do know that NSAIDS are a huge no-no for chronies, not only because of where they're digested and all that, but because they're blood-thinners (some to a small degree, but still) and that when bleeding is an issue, blood thinners are a bad idea. This is one of the reasons that GI's are often very willing to prescribe pain meds; chronies can't take most over the counter pain meds.