• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I think I have a blockage.

Can someone tell me what to do if you think you have a blockage. Its in my ileum, it hurts and is making squishing noises, and theres a knot. Ive been drinking bottles of water. Should I take a laxative? Please help im in so much pain.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
cody12 when's the last time you had a bowel movement? Are you feeling nauseous at all? If your pain is really bad and you do think you have a blockage then it's best to go to the ER. I tried to wait out the pain but it just got worse and worse. My entire abdomen felt like fire, I was completely distended (almost hard as a rock too) and my back was in just as much pain from all the pressure being put on it from my swelling abdomen. Once I became nauseous and the pain was too much to bear I finally went to the ER and started vomiting. I was admitted for a few days and it cleared up with some IV steroids and complete gut rest (no fluids, only an IV). Some people aren't as lucky and wait it out so long they need emergency surgery. If the pain is extreme then go to the ER and have an x-ray or CT scan done to check for a blockage (a regular x-ray will show a blockage but if it's not a blockage than a CT of your abdomen may show what else it may be).

If you don't plan on going to the ER then at least contact your GI's office's emergency line to speak to someone on call and ask them what you should do. Taking a laxative with a full blockage will likely just result in vomiting. Keep us posted on how you're doing. :hug:

Stitch in time saves nine, the longer you wait for help the worse the consequences.

If you experience high fever, blood in waste matter or vomit, dehydration, nausea, extreme fatigue, or dizziness then get medical help.

I have found that increasing the liquids and reducing the diuretics (tea, coffee, most soft drinks can dehydrate you) combined with regular bran and/or fiber in my diet has helped me steer off blockages.

Processed foods don't play nice with me. Restaurants - esp the national chains - are notorious for using them and most of my triggers have followed a meal out. If I have to eat out, I avoid menu choices with too much cheese or fatty solids. When I shop groceries I consciously avoid processed foods and I cannot recall a trigger when I make my own meals.

If I feel a blockage coming on, I keep a stash of oat bran snack sticks that I take with lots of water, let it digest for an hour to work through the piping, then massage the area where I feel the blockage. The oat bran cleans the plumbing and massaging the blocked area can break something loose, I can feel it. Most times it works and my GI encouraged the practice when I told him about it. On the rare occasion it doesn't work, I head to the ER.

Last edited: