• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Possible fissure?

Not sure if I'm on the right forum for this question, but here goes. I'm new to all this so please be patient. I noticed the other day after a bowel movement (due to meds I've been fighting constipation) that just to the right of my anal hole (sorry if that's incorrect or TMI) that there seemed to be a hole. It isn't an open hole on the outside, just a like a deep indentation. It hurts if I sit down too hard and stings when I wipe. Can anyone tell me what this is? And if I should be concerned? And/or how to treat it? :confused::confused: Thank you so much!

Are you sure the indentation wasn't always there? I know that most of the time we don't look in that area unless theres something wrong. You could go see a GI doctor or a colo rectal surgeon to get it checked out. Better to be safe then sorry. Is there blood in your stool or when you wipe?

theOcean

I think that sounds like a fissure... like justbreathe8 said: you should probably go to a doctor to get it checked out.

Recommendations for the meantime: instead of wiping, try just patting the area with toilet paper so it doesn't irritate it as much. I also used to use vaseline on the area before/after bowel movements. Sitz baths can also help with some of the pain.

For the constipation: have you tried taking laxatives? The fissure can't really heal if it's constantly being hurt or reopened, so taking something to at least soften your stool can help. Docusate sodium or docusate calcium (taken with lots of water!) can really help some people, and otherwise taking a bit (half a cap) of Miralax/Restoralax is good, too.

Thank you all for your insight and suggestions. I am currently on a stool softener and it does help some. I've been very careful to wipe gently and will try using baby wipes also. I am so glad I found this website! You guys are all awesome

Are you sure the indentation wasn't always there? I know that most of the time we don't look in that area unless theres something wrong. You could go see a GI doctor or a colo rectal surgeon to get it checked out. Better to be safe then sorry. Is there blood in your stool or when you wipe?
Not sure if there's blood, at least I don't see any. Yes, I'm sure the indentation wasn't there before. I've been dealing with D and C for so many years I am very familiar with that area. :lol: But thank you!

Hey... as all the gr8 "forumers" have been saying it does sound like a fissure but u can never know.... I had pain and bleeding with heavy constipation and after the doc checked me he found 3 fissures... He in turn sent me to a gastroenterologist who checked it out and said that one of them was not a fissure and needed checking even more (for which i'm still waiting!) If it is indeed a fissure most times it is a condition in itself meaning with the right treatment (usually a strong ointment or in some worse cases surgery) it will go away and u will be back to normal. However keep an eye on it because sometimes (like i believe the situation is in my case, especially since i have more than usual plus they came suddenly prior to me having amortirction) it may be a symptom of ibd which of course will need a different course of treatment! Hopefully urs should heal soon and feel better:)