• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Miserable after resection

I need advice. I've been completely miserable ever since my small bowel resection. I'm back & forth between constipation & diarrhea, I can barely eat, i have horrible stomach pain, nausea, and vomiting. I thought this surgery would make me better but I'm worse off than before I had it.

DJW

Forum Monitor
That's awful. Have you got a follow up visit booked? I've always felt good post surgery; minus the typical recovery stuff.

Are you on pain meds? You may not be tolerating them very well.

They have me in norco & tramadol but I've been trying to only take them when I really really need them because of the constipation. I was back in the hospital last week with a very high white blood cell count & fever but no evidence of infection so I had to stay a few days. My follow up is today.

Hi there, so sorry you are having a tough time. The recovery takes time. 8 weeks is pretty fresh still, at least I think so. I do not think you should have a fever and would ask for further investigation to confirm nothing is going on.
I had lots of nausea with 1 huge vomiting exp, it was awful. I really feel for you. It made it scary to eat. I took food super slow after the 'room' spray down. I swear i thought i was going to burst and the nurse brought me a tiny little thing to throw up in. For crying out loud, I don't know whats wrong with some people. Anyways, i ate homemade chicken soup with carrots, celery and noodles for 2 weeks after getting home. Then added applesauce, and other soft foods real slow. It is a adjustment for sure. What have you been trying to eat? Are you able to walk around OK? It can help the guts keep moving. Be sure to be drinking fluids like water and low sugar non carb stuff.

Stay on top of it, remember you are NOT bothering your Dr. ~ Tell them if you feel bad and ask for help.

Take care.

It is very scary to eat. I haven't really felt hungry since the surgery I just eat because I know I need to but I mainly drink a lot of juices and try to make sure I'm getting water. The stomach cramps are worse that before surgery & so bad i havent slept through the night once & its no matter what I eat. I was told to avoid veggies when I was in the hospital because my CT scan showed inflammation where I had the surgery & in my colon. Also they are thinking I may be getting a stomach ulcer. I started prednisone and the doc may up my remicade dose for next time.

Did they mean raw vegetables or all including soft soft cooked? I had to have my vegies cooked to mush to start in the soup. I also ate a lot of saltines through out the day ;) It has been a while so I am trying to remember.
Too much sugar in the juices caused me to swell up, the undigested carbs??
I had really sharp pains when I went home (it scared me the first op), I had to walk every couple hours to help it, for me it did.** But I had no fever**
It was hard to sleep through the night, it took time. The body goes through a lot during a resection. It will heal, but if you feel that something is just not right do call your Dr. ~ write down everything that is going on so you can remember ~ since they usually call back and surprise you at the worst time.

I will be praying for you, for comfort, rest and fast healing. (If that is OK with you).
Hang in there ~ get better soon.

He didn't say raw or not he just said veggies. He also said salad though so maybe he ment raw. I was pretty loopy in the hospital. I've been doing sugar free juices & crystal light is that still bad? I threw up my saltines so I haven't tried again & the ensure made me really nauseous. According to the CT scan the resection caused me to have a flare exactly where I had surgery & also in my colon plus i have acid reflux now. This really sucks.

Has the Dr. given you anything to take for nausea? They do have medication for that. Also for acid reflux.
Ask, it might help.