• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Guy

T

Transparent1

I guess like everyone else I will start with hello. My name is Chris and I am from NY. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease when I was in fifth grade, after a long series of tests, colonoscopies, endoscopies, Upper GI's etc. I have had them all. My Crohns was so bad when I was young that I was placed in Montifiore Hospital in NY where they administered NG feeding as I was unable to eat or only ate very little. The doctors were able to help me gain weight and stength by doing this, at the time I was in 7th or 8th grade. I was on Azulfadine 6 pills a day, and at the time seemed to work well. I went off of the azulfadine when I was in about 10th grade heading into 11th, and that point in time things realy seemed to be better. I was only maybe 110lb's at the time but otherwise fairly normal. My flare ups would come and go and when they did I would go to GI doctor and they almost allways wanted to do yet another colonoscopy, after which they prescribed Asacol 9 pills a day. This again seemed to do the trick and after being on it for about a year, my symptoms seemed to be under control, again fairly normal for a 112lb guy. Ok I guess to sum this up, I am now 30 years old, when the economy went bad I lost the best Job I ever had, and realy had to scramble to get my affairs in order, and I think the stress realy just pushed things over the edge. I have been in a flare up now since July of '08. Long story short, I am back on Asacol again at 6 pills a day 400MG each. I guess I just don't know what to do anymore, the Asacol does not seem to work like it used, as I have diareah everyday going on a year staright now. It does seem to make it better but still far from normal. I guess I am just kind of starting to realize that this disease has changed my life so drastically that I am realy very angry and frustrated. Everywhere I go I check for bathrooms and how suitable they are, (and ofcourse I have to take my own car everywhere I go just in case) I do not drink at all, and shy away from going to bars and social events becasue of my constant belching and just general nervousness, being a 112lb guy in a bar where anyone there could kick my butt is unnerving, I am sure there are 12 year olds that weigh more than I do, and are stronger. I am constantly aware of my small size and how vulnerable it makes me, and again it is very frustrating. The last date I had (which believe me are few and far between) I decided to take my date to a nice Spanish restaurant in CT. She actually commented that I eat like a 7 year old girl....which is pretty much true... So anyways I suffer from Crohns disease and all the crap (excuse the pun) that comes with it, and am frustarted, and just typing this and expressing my frustartion to other people who know what I am going through is making feel a little better allready. I appologize for such a long first post, just venting I suppose. Thank You ~Chris

Hi Chris, welcome :) to the forum! Sounds like you are having a rough time, I really hope something works for you soon. Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. Take care!

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Hey Chris - nice vent. Seriously - not too long at all, so don't ever worry about that here. Read around - you will find TONS of good ideas about how to get yourself treated here. Maybe you want to try some supplemental drinks (Boost or Ensure) to help you with calories.
Welcome to the forum!

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
Welcome my fellow NYer. I was on Asacol for years until I found out I was hypersensitive to it. I.e., it helped somewhat but never as effective as it should. I'm now on 6-mp and feeling pretty good.

Hang in there.