• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Journey to Diagnosis - Crohn's

Hi everyone! Just recently diganosed with Crohn's and wanted to share my story in hopes that it may help someone out there. I guess my journey started over 2 years ago. I initially sought treatment for extreme stomach pain. I could hardly function the pain was so severe. I was tested for everything from gall bladder to appendix. All tests came back normal. I was given the diagnosis of Functional Dyspepsia, which just basically means unexplained stomach pain. The course of treatment is to be placed on a proton pump inhibitor (Protonix). So, I went on that and was doing great for 2 years. This spring, I noticed that old familiar stomach pain creeping back. More sublte overall, but there were times it was so sharp that I felt my breath was being taken away. I immediately went back to my GI and explained my one and only symptom. I'm very grateful he took my complaint seriously and once again we began the grand "weed out" of possibilities. Started with a complete blood panel and ultrasound of the abdomen. Blood test showed my red blood cells were abnormal and I was anemic. From there, I had another blood test for Celiac Disease and a colonoscopy. Celiac test came back negative. The colonoscopy was quite revealing and my doctor was shocked to find that I had ulceration in my ascending colon along with narrowing of the ileum. After finding that, I was sent for a CT scan and another blood test to differentiate between Crohn's and UC. The scan confirmed the impending diagnosis of Crohn's but my blood test revealed negative for UC and Crohn's. That is the only missing piece to the puzzle for me right now. Just had an endoscopy last week and that revealed some granularity. That was biopsied and found to be normal. And so the journey begins...what to eat, what supplements to take etc etc. I wanted to share my story, b/c I don't fit the "mold" of a typical Crohn's patient. I was diagnosed at 41 and my only symptom was stomach pain. I share this b/c I know patients can be dismissed by doctors. I hope this helps someone else along their journey. I guess my next step is to see a functional nutritionist for diet and supplement guidance. I'm open to suggestions or any advice :)...

Currently on:
Lialda (mesalamine)
Budesonide (EC)
Iron
Turmeric Curcumin

Hi and welcome to this forum & to the world of us Crohnies as we call ourselves! :) Sorry for all you've been through. This is an awesome support group where you can vent anytime. Before I was diagnosed I too had lots of stomach pain but also had a sore bum, but my GI at the time was not listening to me & said 'well you're not going to die from it'...needless to say I found another dr & by the time I was diagnosed my bowel was so inflamed & ulcerated that they almost took it out.
I have recently started seeing a naturopath for problems with fistulas, but to be honest I have my doubts as to whether it is doing me any goid.
All the best txgal. X

Thanks MrsW!! Like you, I would love to find a more natural solution to help with wellness and healing. I wish you the best on your journey and am so glad you found another doctor!!