• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Questran

B

btcrv

Hi All,

Recently I was having some symptom flare ups -- mainly having to stop my day four of five times to go to the bathroom. My doctor suspected that it may have been due to my gall bladder removal (same time as bowel reserection) instead of a crohn's flare. He prescribed Questran for me which is supposed to be a bile binding medication.

Anyone else take this med?

J

jlbastian

my sister does, and she has had great success with it. hoever, she does not have crohn's, it was given to her after he gall bladder removal, apparently its pretty standard now.

B

btcrv

Just wondering because it almost seems to work too well. I went from going to the bathroom about 4 times a day to going every four days.

D

DannyB

There is a horse worming medication called questran you know. Just a piece of useless information to make your day complete LOL

A question for anyone who has used Questran or Questran light for persistant diarrhea. How much do you take daily and when? and how long did it take for diarrhea to calm down?
Many thanks,
Leanne x

I tried Questran when I was having my diarrhea problem last year. It was just part of trying everything. It did not help me, but I kind of felt like the "cure" was worse than the disease. I actually had a generic brand, but it was not pleasant for me to drink. It is a powder you mix with water or juice. Unpleasant to drink and caused me to feel bloated. Maybe using less powder would have helped. I know that people experiment with the dose.

Later on I tried a similar drug in pill form called Colestid (Colestipol). Eaiser to take (big horse pills) but did not work for me.

Silvermoon

I use the light... 2 pkgs morning and night, every day, for the past 10 years...and I still have diarrhea... but I have almost no colon left, so not much is going to stop my `diarrhea`... so not sure how to answer that... lol :redface:

CDDad: I found the brand name did for me what it did for you... bloating, cramping, gas. I have been using the generic, cholestyramine, but the light one... it is "light" because it has no sugar and... (insert who-dun-it mystry music here, please)...DUH! DUH! DUHHHHHH!.... sugar is one of the things that upset my guts!!! (My pharmasist actually clued me into this one... lol).

But overall I like the cholestyramine light because it DOES bind the bile salts, so I find my movements don`t burn so much.

Last edited:
cholestyramine

Silvermoon said:
I use the light... 2 pkgs morning and night, every day, for the past 10 years...and I still have diarrhea... but I have almost no colon left, so not much is going to stop my `diarrhea`... so not sure how to answer that... lol :redface:

CDDad: I found the brand name did for me what it did for you... bloating, cramping, gas. I have been using the generic, cholestyramine, but the light one... it is "light" because it has no sugar and... (insert who-dun-it mystry music here, please)...DUH! DUH! DUHHHHHH!.... sugar is one of the things that upset my guts!!! (My pharmasist actually clued me into this one... lol).

But overall I like the cholestyramine light because it DOES bind the bile salts, so I find my movements don`t burn so much.
hi Silvermoon, I used the generic cholestyramine but it did more harm than good by feeling worst. I am on a glutten free sugar free diet which its been great in terms of reducing the pain but I also lost 30 lbs in the process
best wishes
acg

braveheart

Passionate Dreamer
I am having Questran Light once a day, at night.
It’s been very helpful. It doesn’t think it really stops diarrhea, but It really soften it.
If you feel your poo is like fire, try Questran.

I use either Miralax powder , one spoon in the morning or 3 Dulcolax pills. dont over do it because it may lead to hemoroids
best wishes
acg

I've taken Questran since my first ileal resection in 1985. It helps but does not completely solve the problem and I still have a lot of trouble with sudden onset diarrhea (sprint to the toilet kind), which makes me nervous about leaving home. I take it as I feel I need it, one 4g sachet about once a day. Even though the problem is still there, life would be much harder for me without Questran.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
You may have to up the dosage, to maybe twice a day. Eating banana's and rice also help to bind you a bit. I hate the sprints too, especially if you dont make it. :(