• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story

I was diagnosed with crohns disease in late 2005. I wanna go back a little first, prior to my diagnosis, I was experiencing black stools at the time i didn't know it was blood. I was in excruciating pain all the time, I couldn't even sleep or stay still. The constant toilet trips were awful but helped relieve the cramping for the moment. The bloating was terrible people would ask me if i was pregnant because my stomach was that swollen. Pain in my hip is what caused me to go to the ER come to find out now it was a sign of what was to come! Initially it was said that I had appendicitis which required surgery, im glad they figured out it wasn't that in time! My 1st surgery was in 2006 for a bowel resection, I was obstructed. I was 22 at the time, after the surgery was performed i awakened to a stoma with a bag! As a young woman that was the hardest pill to swallow but I was thankful at the same time because my pain was gone and so were all the medicines. I had the stoma reversed in 2008. For 4years straight my life was back to normal (besides my recovery time for the reversal). I was able to do all the things that people my age did, I thought that maybe I was cured so to speak...silly me! In 2010 it came back with a vengeance. The pain was so bad that I was in and out of the hospital and after a while it was finally confirmed that i had yet another blockage😖😷😰! So I knew what was coming...SURGERY! I knew that the surgery was a must and the only thing that would make me feel better. It was performed and I awakened to a bag yet again! At this time I was just trying to cope with having the object connected to my body..believe me having a ostomy is not fun,pretty or easy to deal with thankfully this wasn't my 1st time so I knew the do's and don'ts....2days after the surgery, my surgeon came in with this look on his face that told me something was wrong...he says to me that im leaking on the inside and the had to open me up again to fix it...at this point im scared and anxious I pulled my NG tube out, I hated it anyway! As they are rolling me in the room I told the DR I was scared but I knew he could fix it nevertheless I was still scared! After he fixed that problem...as the techs tried to wake me i could hear them calling my name to wake up but I couldn't because i was having a seizure on the table! In a induced coma a few days. Drifting in and out of consciousness, my family and friends told me some of the things i was doing and saying that I don't remember! I was given propofol and I guess thats why i dont remember. That wasn't the last blow though, I contracted VRE from the hospital... I never even heard of it before but I had it and I stayed in the hospital 31 days because of it. Finally everything went back to normal...I was finally well enough to have my 2nd reversal which was in 2011 and everything went well! Now we're in 2014 and im having terrible symptoms again nausea,diarrhea or constipation depending on how my gut feels, a little bloating, no appetite and terrible stomach cramps. I am a seasoned vet with crohns and I have been through It all. My Dr want me to start HUMIRA for my cd and arthritis but honestly im scared to death because of the side effects that are worst than having cd itself. I've tried everything else but nothing works so this is my last option other than surgery and with my track record if i have the surgery again I'll end up with the bag again and i hate it but i will say it had its advantages I could eat and drink pain free and didn't have to take a ton of medicine. I've decided im gonna give the humira a try for a while despite my reservations about it cause i really dont wanna be cut open again and if all else fails and i need a operation and i wake up with a bag im gonna keep it. Ive been in a relationship for 8years now and he's so supportive and has been here for me every step of the way!