• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Duodendum mucus

my little penguin

Staff member
My non Ibd kiddo has an upper scope
Everything looks ok
Gi is trying to rule out inflammtory stuff in the upper gi track so we are waiting for biopsys - should have results in a few days .

Question doc said the duodendum had thick mucus in it .
Didnt say why this was important .....
Anyone every hear this before???
Google is not much help at all

Mucus is often a sign of inflammation....so it may just be a warning sign that your doc is picking up on. It could be nothing, but it may be hinting at something.

I agree it might just be some inflammation causing the mucous. Usually things start secreting more when irritated, just like when you have a cold.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
The GI tract is consists of mucous membrane so mucous is a normal part of its functioning. The stomach has a layer of thick mucous but once you past the stomach and into the duodenum the consistency of the mucous is much thinner as it is not dealing with stomach acid. The appearance of thick mucous in the duodenum would be considered an abnormality :( so hopefully the test results will provide you with answers as to why this is happening to your lad mlp. :ghug: If they do I hope they are answers that are easily fixed. Good luck!

Dusty. xxx

my little penguin

Staff member
Thanks Dusty
I thought it wasn't normal since the Gi knows I will look up
Anything to figure out what it means .

It's the same GI DS has so its easy to work out things quickly since he knows the history.
And that I will keep asking questions when it's important but leave the doc alone when things are calm.