• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Starting with a biologic?

After a recent colonoscopy and uveitis my GI doc is recommending that I start humira! I'm newly diagnosed with Crohn's disease but have had it for years! 3 bowel resections and several small bowel obstructions later they've finally given me a diagnosis! This is really the first med that I've been prescribed for Crohn's disease. Has anyone else started treatment with a biologic???:ybatty:

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi. Some doctors will use a top down approach (strongest drugs first) to knock out inflammation. Since you've already had surgeries and obstructions its good to get on top of things quickly to reduce the risk of further complications.

Hi Chuck,

Although I haven't had Humira, I've been on two biologics in the last 10 years: Remicade for seven years and Cimzia for the last several months.

Remicade worked quickly for me and was a wonderful drug for controlling inflammation. Cimzia seems to be taking its time to really take effect but it has worked some. I can definitely tell my inflammation has been reduced but it hasn't been as quickly or as thoroughly as Remicade.

My only advice is to give it time to work but if you experience any side effects, stay in touch with your doctor. I've only had minor side effects if any at all, so not trying to scare you! This class of drug has been great for many people and I hope Humira works well for you!

The potential side effects scare me to death!!! I'm gonna hafta think long and hard b4 going forward with Humira!! I'm just not certain what else is out there that will be effective with fewer potential side effects? I've already had several obstructions and 3 resection surgeries and to top it off I was recently diagnosed with uveitis. MyGI feels because of the uveitis that the inflammation has become more systemic and is trying to get rid of the inflammation using the big guns!

I've been on humira for three months now, and unfortunately I dont think it has helped one bit, but also havent noticed any side effects except massive appetite suppression. Sometimes I think that may be the only reason it "works", sigh.

My son was just diagnosed last month and will start Remicade next week as his first treatment after the results of his CT scan. Inflammation is rampant in his small intestine. I agree, it's scary.

I was scared at first too but quickly agreed with a top-down approach when I learned how awful uncontrolled Crohn's is. I had to take a practical approach to weighing my options & am so glad I did! I've been on Humira for almost three months and am feeling so much better.

After the surgeries, I would think you would be more scared of "more of the same." That was my case. Keep in mind the huge volume of people that these have helped without any side effects. I am one of them, and you would have to fight me to get me to give it up now. It is the ONLY thing in almost 30 years of disease that has ever given me lasting benefits, and as a result, I am the healthiest I have been since this wonderful disease started. They are worth the potential drawbacks - you have already experienced what will most likely happen repeatedly for you without medical assistance.

I started on Humira along with 6mp and prednisone, I think the doctors who do this have the best of intentions for their patients, its like we have suffered long enough so lets just make it better as fast as we can! I'm glad that is where I started, I've done the less intense stuff after a remission and it did nothing for me, so glad I got some relief right away.
Best of luck with Humira

Thanks for the support guys! I really appreciate it! It's good to hear of the successes that you've all had with the humira! I'm really considering it @ this point! I've even gone so far as to check with my insurance to see if it's a covered med....and it is! Just need prior approval first!

Of interest, I mentioned to my dermatologist that my GI doc had me on Imuran and wanted me to go on humira. The dermatologist said he frequently prescribes Humira for psoriasis, an inflammatory skin disease. Said it was a very safe drug. On the other hand those little Imuran tablets are very serious meds.
My beef with humira is that it costs about $1000 per shot. Gonna make you really unpopular with your health insurance company.

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds has been on humira for over a year.
He is 10.
He started biologics ( remicade) at age 8.
Humira took a few months to fully kick in but there were no side effects for him vs the immunosuppressants which went to his liver ( 6-mp).
Humira has a my humira card if you call the company .
It picks up the copay up to $500 and leaves you with only a $5 copay.
The first loading loading dose is covered up to $2500 ( I think).
The reality with the copay card makes humira way cheaper than the other meds.
https://m.humira.com/myhumira/humira-protection-plan

My doctor also started me first with a biologic (Remicade, although now i'm on Humira). She mentioned preferring the top down approach since I was in such a bad flare at the time. Hope you feel better soon!

My rheumy is starting me on cimzia next week. Originally it was supposed to be humira but insurance said they would only approve the cimzia. Has anyone been on it. I am a little nervous. It's a regular shot instead of a pen. Any advice would be helpful.

I started with remicade and in all honesty I think it was what I needed. Spent 19 days in the hospital on picc line, dropped 32 pounds and remicade brought me back from my horrible place. In all honesty if it wasnt for remicade I dont think I would have finished my senior year of highschool.