• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade success for Crohn's any Pain relief would be appreciated

Hello all, I am new to this site and have been checking many of the discussions regarding people's stories, pain control and the like. I have just been diagnosed with Crohns and I am at a loss about my future. I just turned 21 and attending college and recently had to drop out of nursing school due to all the demands, especially clinical days when you are working and learning non-stop for 12-14 hours in a day. This became impossible for me due to the pain and of course the constant restroom trips. So now I have spent the last 3 years of my life preparing and taking all the classes and keeping a 3.5 GPA in order to qualify to be accepted into the Nursing School and now I'm LOST!!! I just started the infusion process of Remicade and have had the first 2 of 3 initial loading dosing. So it has been about 5 weeks from the 1st infusion and have my last of 3 in 2 weeks. The problem is, I have felt no relief whatsoever and my Dr is extremely hesitant in prescribing me any Percoset for relief. He had given me 40 after the first round and 20 after the second round--I have followed the directions on the label, but now he won't prescribe anymore and told me to take over OTC pain meds. I have read that these meds can actually cause flare ups and make the problem worse. I am at a loss atm, I have no idea what to do about school and have put all that effort in for I feel nothing presently. I can't sleep and hurt so bad at times that I just stay in bed--not too conducive for an education. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry you are not feeling good. Some times it takes a while for remicade to start working. I hope it does soon. We try not to use NSAID's because they are harsh on the belly. Ask your pharmacist about acetaminophen. Maybe Enteral Nutrition for a while can help. This is just my opinion, I am no expert. Always ask your Doctor. I hope you get better soon.

my little penguin

Staff member
DS started remicade at age 8.
It took all three infusion loading doses and a few weeks for DS to start to feel better.
A tens unit can be used to take the edge off the pain without any extra meds .