• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

When does it get better??

DJW

Forum Monitor
Surgery eventually put me in a 20 year remission. It was awful up to that point. Lots of long hospital stay (including 2, 8 week stays) and multiple surgeries.

I've heard the first year is the hardest to find all that is wrong and find the correct meds that work for you. So far I'm 6 months in and on a restricted diet with a little improvement but still a long way to go before I can return to the land of the living and working again. I have a very complicated case with lots of layering of the disease.

Good luck - hopefully your journey will be shorter!

I wish I could answer this question. But, I count my few good days as blessings, as well as my bad days. I just have to be thankful for a diagnosis, at this point. I hope that answers and healing comes for you soon, as I know how hard it is for me to be patient.

my little penguin

Staff member
It took DS almost a year .
He had to go through all the lower meds first (5-ASA, 6-mp, Mtx etc)
Before starting remicade at age 8.
Once he started biologics everything changed .
He went back to normal.
He is now on humira and you really wouldn't know he was sick GI wise.

I would say the first 2 years are the hardest, you try lots of different meds, needs lots of check ups, start new meds, have lots of side effects ect. Finally you should get a minor remission even if it isn't full remission, you should level out.
Each minor flare seems like the end of the world at first, but eventually it becomes just another thing you do. Learning to be your biggest advocate and finding our your personal limits are the best things I ever learned for dealing with IBD

Hi there, it can be difficult to say the least. It is an awful illness ~ but many have their lives become more meaningful. When you can eat food taste better, when you are out and about you enjoy the things others take for granted, when something does not hurt or stops hurting you say to yourself, well tg that passed. We are strong but learn not to hold in our feelings, many have great relationships since bs is a waste of time.

I have had a beautiful life, even with CD, I am grateful for so much. Sometimes you have to look for the good things that are better today. Don't look back at what was and stay as full of hope as you can. We learn to handle the hurdles. Things will get better. We end up loving the life we have been given without realizing it, til someone ask........

:hug:my best to you, there will be good days, great milestones and beautiful memories. Try to be present in the moment ;)