• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How long is too long to wait for Humira to kick in?

Has anyone used Humira for a couple months, had it do nothing.....and then suddenly it starts working? I've been taking Humira for about 11 weeks now and I feel worse than before i started. My doc increased the dose to weekly instead of biweekly, and he wants me to stick with it for another month to see if it kicks in. I feel like this drug does nothing for me, but was wondering if anyone has had the experience of having Humira suddenly kick in after more than 3 months. I mean, i don't even feel a little bit better than before.

nogutsnoglory

What your doctor is doing is definitely not standard practice but hope it works.

Generally if people don't have response within 3 months, the drug is considered a fail.

When I started humira every two weeks it took about 4-5 months before I felt good. I am now on weekly injections and it has taken about 6 weeks to really kick in for me. I am feeling much better now.

my little penguin

Staff member
DS age 10 took about 4 months at least maybe 5.
He did 2-3 months at the kiddie dose ( 20 mg every other week)
Then switched to the adult dose which kicked in 2-3 months.
He already had an allergic reaction to remicade , failed Mtx , and had 6-mp go to his liver so we were out of options .

Hope it works for you soon.
Have you seen improvements in your bloodwork at all?

We haven't really tested my blood yet, but I think things may be skewed because I'm also on pred right now. All I know is that if I don't respond in a few more weeks, it's time to try something else. My Dr had mentioned Entyvio as an option, since it works in a different way than the tnf blockers

I'm trying. On Monday, I start my dosing every 7 days. Thank goodness I have pred in the meantime !

I had the same. Prednisone to help in the meantime. I had lots of doubts when I first started humira, but it has turned out to give me great remission.

Nancye50 did you have any improvement at all in the first three months? I have felt zero change so far, in fact I seem worse. How many months did it actually take for you? Are you on weekly dosing?

I moved cross country with two dogs, husband and three kids about two weeks after I started Humira. June & July were miserable but I saw sudden improvement right at three months with 40mg/two weeks.

I start Humira tomorrow and am hopeful it works as well as everyone says. The nurse told me it can take 3-4 months for it to start working.

I'm still feeling awful! 25+bms today. Awful D, loud belly noises, cramping. Been on Humira 13 weeks and the last three weeks were weekly injections. I'm feeling done with this medicine. Also on 25mg pred and it's not doing much either :/