• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira Loading Dose Question....

I am expecting my first package of Humira tomorrow. I am a bit confused about the loading dose... do I do all 4 shot at the same time(or well I suppose one right after another)? Or do you need to wait some time in between each shot?

Hi! I'm really looking forward to staring Humira (was on Remicade but developed antibodies) I wish you the best of luck and success with it! Anywho, I live in a very small town kinda in the middle of nowhere and they don't offer that service here. The Humira nurse called me and we chatted for a bit and I watched their videos, but that is about it. I am fairly confident I can administer the shot, but am more worried about having a reaction..,? We have an ER in town and my gp's office is close by, I wonder if they'd let me come in for an hour or so lol is that crazy?

I just spoke to someone at the pharmacy that will be sending me the Humira. She said you can expect to see some slight reddening of the skin and possibly some bruising at the injection site, but if it's more than a little bit, then you need to call the doctor. Also, she said because Humira suppresses the immune system, to be diligent about washing your hands and using hand sanitizer. Too, if you feel like you're coming down with an upper respiratory infection or a bladder infection, to call the doctor. Dontcha just love having IBD? Not! Good luck to you. Let us know how it goes!

When I did it, I did 2 at night and 2 the next morning. But you can do all 4 at once if you want. The package comes with very specific directions.

KMod - I did all 4 of mine at the same time. I did it at my doctor's office. They actually made me do it there so they could keep an eye on me while I administered the shots to myself. They also made sure I was OK for a half an hour after I did the shots. So it wouldn't be crazy to ask your doctor to do it there!

We did the loading dose all at the same time. We were instructed to do all 4 at once, or within an hr (so you could do 1 every 20 minutes). We did ours in the hospital clinic which was handy if there was an issue. Good luck! Hope it works well for you.

Thank you everyone for responding! My package just arrived! My boyfriend's aunt is an RN and she said will come by our house today to help us and to hang out for a bit to make sure all is going well. I am very nervous and excited but sooo ready to start a new med (been in the prednisone holding zone lol). Thank you all again for getting back to me. I very much appreciate the information and am feeling confident now. Hope everyone is well!