Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Public toilet nightmare

08-12-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
Christiebird

Public toilet nightmare

I went out for a few hours with my mum the other day and mid shop had to make a mad dash to the toilets....the kids are off school at the moment and I came out of the toilet, a young girl went in and I could see her face and see her mouthing to her friends that it was stinky...embarassed...no - MORTIFIED! Is there any way to deal with this other than just scrub your hands as quick as you can and skulk off??
08-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
forum contributor
Captain Obvious

Oh hun, I understand all too well!!

After such embarrassing moments, I now am well-equipped with a mini spray can of Lysol in my bag.
08-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
Christiebird

I carry around mini deodorant cans everywhere to try and avoid the embarassment but when the toilets are busy I feel too embarassed to spray...its like being stuck between a rock and a hard place! I only had my first surgery 6 weeks ago and I wanted to pull my top up and say sorry I stink but I have bum and tum issues and this is part of it but figured that probably wouldn't go down very well

Thank you for the response...Im new to this and wasn't even sure I was doing it properly!
08-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
forum contributor
Captain Obvious

You're doing great

I say screw them - they're just judgmental because, supposedly, they're perfect.
08-12-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
Wizbit

My Support Groups:
Just walk off fast and don't look back!
08-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #6
Cookie

Just remember...everyone poos and everyone's poo stinks, otherwise, the phrase "She thinks her shit don't stink" never would have been coined!
08-12-2009, 04:27 PM   #7
forum contributor
Captain Obvious

Ugh my husband's friend lives by "Girls Don't Poo."
08-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
Cookie

Let me guess...he's single, right?
08-12-2009, 07:17 PM   #9
forum contributor
Captain Obvious

No - somehow he's married!! But that's an entirely different thread lol
08-12-2009, 07:19 PM   #10
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
I tell my kids "Who ever smelt it delt it"!!
08-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #11
ITSMEAGAIN

i just walk out waving my hand in front of my face saying "wooo don't go in there unless ya got a match".
i've gotten to the point where i am damned if i'm gonna feel ashamed about something everybody does. Heck i've got two small kids and had to clean up worse messes from their little buts then mine has ever produced. Try being in a grocery store and realize that you 13mnth old has not only crapped threw there diaper and shorts, but into his stroller and all up his front and back. Lets just say after some serious scrubbing in the family washroom with my wife he came out with only a diaper and bag full of nasty clothes. LOL.
chin up. your normal.
08-13-2009, 12:34 AM   #12
GoJohnnyGo
One Badass Dude

After a while you just tend to deflect what's supposed to be social graces, and just say screw it, I'm sick because of nothing that was my fault to begin with so if I stink I'm literally just as put out as you are.

Crohn's toughens you up a bit.
08-13-2009, 03:46 AM   #13
beth

My Support Groups:
BTDT I either get out quick, or laugh and say to the next person 'you dont want to go in there!'.
08-13-2009, 09:55 AM   #14
Christiebird

Thanks everyone! I guess the thing to remember is to not give a crap! Ha - if only I could not give a crap
08-13-2009, 10:28 AM   #15
forum contributor
Captain Obvious

Christiebird said:
Thanks everyone! I guess the thing to remember is to not give a crap! Ha - if only I could not give a crap
Sweeeeet
08-13-2009, 10:41 AM   #16
farm
Captain Insaneo

imisspopcorn said:
The guilty dog barks first.
The first one who knew it, blew it.
08-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #17
Mark33180

hahaha i like to say something to piss them off when someone does something like that... if i go and stink the place up and someone says something like that.... just respond with "Well if you mom would learn to cook better it wouldn't be so bad" or "ITS A SHITTER WHAT DO YOU EXPECT IT TO SMELL LIKE???" or hold you hands over your head when walking out yelling "WOOHOO SCORE ONE FOR THE ASS BLASTER!!!!"

Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere

Diagnosed with Crohn's 11/01 - Battling ever since
08-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #18
bigtruck

hold your head high walk on and dont look back; an old northern irish quote "you can't eat good grub and shite scenty soap" think about it! take care
08-13-2009, 11:27 AM   #19
SpoonNinja
Spoonie

My Support Groups:
Mark33180 said:
hahaha i like to say something to piss them off when someone does something like that... if i go and stink the place up and someone says something like that.... just respond with "Well if you mom would learn to cook better it wouldn't be so bad" or "ITS A SHITTER WHAT DO YOU EXPECT IT TO SMELL LIKE???" or hold you hands over your head when walking out yelling "WOOHOO SCORE ONE FOR THE ASS BLASTER!!!!"

lmao omg!! i would sooo do that, score oneXD i would scare ppl, i acually think nex time im in public and have ta use the potty imma do that!! just to see the looks on ppls faces!!!! thanx for the idea!! hehehe
be a ninja they have fun and get to randomly run around doing missions!! but beware of pirates theyre the ENEMY!!
Yahoo: [email protected]
Facebook: Tabathe Rammstein Obsessed Williams
08-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #20
Christiebird

bigtruck said:
hold your head high walk on and dont look back; an old northern irish quote "you can't eat good grub and shite scenty soap" think about it! take care

Haha this is brilliant! Im going to use that one!!!
08-14-2009, 09:20 AM   #21
Agent X20

My Support Groups:
Something nice and direct and no-nonsense about the old Northern Irish quote
08-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #22
farm
Captain Insaneo

imisspopcorn said:

08-14-2009, 11:46 AM   #23
teeny5

My Support Groups:
I use Poo-pourri. Works pretty good. If I don't have it I just make a comment to the other people like "wow it stinks in here huh?"

Previous meds: Sulfasalazine, Asacol, Rowasa, Pentasa, Entocort.

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. -Ralph Waldo Emerson"
08-15-2009, 11:37 AM   #24
Guestly

Brilliant! If I have left an aroma I usually walk out in a most haughty fashion complaining loudly for all to hear about how much the toilets smell generally, and how disgusting the facility I am exiting was before I even went in there...

However, I am now totally inspired...from now on its going to be: hold my hands over my while yelling "WOOHOO SCORE ONE FOR THE ASS BLASTER!!!!"

I cant wait for my next public outing now (usually a source of dread), the kids are going to think I am a total legend!

Lishyloo
08-16-2009, 07:08 PM   #25
SilverWillow

I try to cover embarrassment with humour but there's nothing worse than walking out of the toilet though to find that theres a queue.....and there's no denying i'm the culprit of the offensive aroma because they've all heard suspicious toilet noises coming from the cubicle.
08-17-2009, 06:34 PM   #26
seadreamer

I try to flush just as the event happens. It not only covers the sound but sucks all the...ahem...material down before it can stink the place up too badly. I then flush again asap in case there's any residual material or odor.

This isn't easily accomplished with those automatic flushers though. I've spent many a minute standing by the door perfectly still with my pants down waiting for the stupid thing to flush.
08-17-2009, 07:05 PM   #27
forum contributor
Captain Obvious

seadreamer said:
I try to flush just as the event happens. It not only covers the sound but sucks all the...ahem...material down before it can stink the place up too badly. I then flush again asap in case there's any residual material or odor.

This isn't easily accomplished with those automatic flushers though. I've spent many a minute standing by the door perfectly still with my pants down waiting for the stupid thing to flush.
Ahh... the old courtesy flush
08-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #28
fenway1971
Sports Crohnie

I hate the automatic flushers. I avoid them like the plague. Has anyone ever had it flush while you're still pooing? I have. Not funny. Well - it is kinda funny.

Mark - your comments remind me of Austin Powers and the scene with #2. Ha!

Crohn's Colitis (2003-present)
Kidney Stones (1998, 2003, 2008)

Medication
6-MP (2009-present)

Vitamins/Supplements
Multivitamin, Vitamin D, Turmeric

Super Powers
I am Batman

08-17-2009, 10:25 PM   #29
misscris

My daughter used to scream in the public restrooms when she was little because of the noise the automatic flushers would make. And then she'd stare at it, and you could just hear her thinking "it's gonna swallow me whole, I know it. Why does mom make me pee here???"

W.C.C.....Charter member
08-18-2009, 01:57 AM   #30
Agent X20

My Support Groups:
seadreamer said:
That's my technique!
Never encountered an automatic flusher in the UK... maybe that's a good thing

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Public toilet nightmare