• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hemorrhoids before colonoscopy prep?

I'm hoping this is the place to ask. I'm starting my Miralax/Gatorade prep tomorrow for my colonoscopy on Tuesday. I'm already having an issue with hemorrhoids and its rather painful. I've been using baby wipes, tucks wipes and hemorrhoid cream after each bathroom trip and so far no relief. I'm trying to not wipe too much as I'm sure that doesn't help but it takes a bit for me to get completely clean. I can only imagine it getting worse after I do the prep... Is there anything else I can try? :(

When you're finished after each "session", jump in the shower/bath and use the shower head set to cold or a jug of cold tap water to rinse yourself off. Cover your bottom half in a towel afterwards and dry however is best.

I did this last week for a prep without hemorrhoids and it was a lifesaver.

For my last colonoscopy it was recommended to me to use the 'barrier cream' zinc & castor oil. It is usually used for babies with nappy rash! I had never heard of this before, but I used it and it seemed to avoid external irritation (I don't have hemorrhoids, but in the past prep has inflamed the skin) as it forms a protective sheen.

Oh I have been there before! Steffi, everyone else recommenced what I would have and all those things have worked for me in the past too. Another thing I do is take a little bath with HOT water after each BM. After getting yourself cleaned up with the baby wipes, fill up the tub with just a few inches of hot water and sit in there for a few minutes. Honestly, I do this after having painful BMs (which is just about everyday) I did have external hemorrhoids but I actually had them removed. That was the worst decision of my life. Good luck with the prep. The Gatorade/Miralax is the way to go!

Thank you for all the responses! They have been extremely helpful and I'm happy to say that I've gotten through most of the prep hemorrhoid pain free. :)