• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Aussie Intro

S

schulzy

Hey Guys my name is Dylan Schulz, im 20yrs old from Adelaide Australia and was diagnosed with crohns in January 09.
I had my own business as a carpet laying contractor which was going well until i started getting stomach pains and diarrhea. At first i thought it was my bad habit of eating junk food on a regular basis and attempted to resolve it by eating healthier.
This went on over a period of 2 months and i finally decided to go see my gp and figure things out as i was starting to miss days working.
After a ultrasound and ct scan i was finally told to go down to the emergency department at the Royal Adelaide Hospital.
They gave me a 90% chance of having crohns and sent me home a day later with Prednisolone and an appointment to have a colonoscopy which later clarified i had crohns at the terminal ilieum.
Over the next 3 months i tried other forms of treatment (Sulphasalizine, Mesalazine and Azathioprine) to try and get off the Prednisolone but each time i flared up.
Finally in May i could not deal with the pain i was going through and went to Hospital where they found i was far worse off than thought.
I had a perforated bowel which had abcessed and infected my small bowel also numerous fistulas 1 of which was trying to grow through my large bowel.
After my operation i woke up with 2m less of my small bowel and sections of my large removed resulting in having a temporary ileostomy.

I have had it now for 3 months and have no signs of the disease at the moment and still taking azathioprine as a precautionary measure.
I was told i was not allowed to return to my job and currently looking at the idea of going back to study. Hopefully all goes well in November when i have my bowels reconnected and start over.

S

schulzy

Thanks Guys, yer allready it has been really interesting and helpful.
will definatly hang around and keep in contact.

Hi schulzy :)

Having to make some carer changes is something I am also faced with and I look at it as an opportunity. Sometimes doors open and we pass them by. But this business with the gut thing is propelling me into some new approaches to life. I'm ok with that because I need a shove every now and then to keep me going forward.

Dealing with the bag is a bit daunting for me right now. I answered the door the other day and the person put their hand over their mouth and gasped "Oh My God" as a strolled out onto the porch with my bag buddy dangling off my shorts. I looked down and laughed a bit. "oh that" I said, "its not so bad. It follows me around like a puppy" Then she laughed and we had a normal conversation. But going out to do groceries or get my hair cut is something I'm not up to yet. I need to get better at hiding my Perc-drain before I can try something like that.