• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

3 year old starting new program

Well, she's started Azathioprine. We're also at the point where we're re-introducing food from having done EEN for 6 weeks.

She can hold her own in a conversation about the relative merits of various Boost flavours, but was SO happy to get to have a little bit of something else.

To tell you the truth, I'm more worried about how her body will respond to the food than the Aza right now - but this is the way of it with Crohn's.

Hopefully her little body responds well to all of it. It's been amazing to see her energy levels improve so much with the EEN. It would be great if the improvements continue.

Aza can work well, & I believe it was the only thing that kept my kid out of the hospital this summer. It was the 1st drug she noticed decent improvement on & as you can see by my signature she has tried a lot. I hope for happier & healthier days ahead for you both!

Maya142

Staff member
My daughter is Azathioprine and had no trouble tolerating it. She was nervous because she's had bad experiences with methotrexate, but really had no side effects at all with Imuran.
She takes it at night with a snack - we figured that if she was nauseous, she'd sleep through the nausea.
Good luck!

I hope all goes well with Aza. Just keep in mind that it will take some time to kick in. I hope your little one continues to improve!

Thanks. I think that the length of time the Aza takes to work is what is making me nervous about the reintroduction of food right now. A few times over the 6 weeks of EEN she went backwards a little when she was getting a cold. I just hate to mess with the equilibrium. Time will tell.