• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Update on my daughter

Well we seen GI dr today. He asked his many questions and decided we gonna do colonoscopy this Monday. Her red flags were the pain in ileum area ,mouth ulcers,and a anal skin tag. He found that during a very uncomfortable anal check that my poor girl was not prepared for. She has had that since a young baby. Didn't know that was even a concern. Her ped told me it would go away but it never did.

Did more blood work and gotta do stool sample. She starts her colon cleanse Sunday.

DJW

Forum Monitor
I'm sorry to hear that. Rectal exams are awful when you're little.

I was terrified of them. My pediatric surgeon gave me a tip that made a world of difference.

Push out as the doctor put his/her finger in. It relaxes the muscles and makes it easier.

Maya142

Staff member
Sorry to hear the rectal exam was hard. My daughter absolutely hates them (as most kids do, I'm sure!).

I hope the clean out and scopes go smoothly!

That prob would of helped. She is 14 but was just horrified. She knew he was gonna ask embarrassing questions but she didn't know that was gonna happen today too. She is also so scared of the colonoscopy.

Maya142

Staff member
The prep is not fun but the actual colonoscopy is a breeze. My daughter was scared too, but was told she would be so deeply asleep that she wouldn't feel a thing (and she didn't). Most kids are given general anesthesia. After the colonoscopy she was nauseous and tired for a bit, but mostly just very hungry.

My daughter didn't even remember we had gone to the hospital for the scopes after we left. The general anesthesia pretty much left the memory blank for her. She was tired for the rest of the day. Slept a lot.

Last edited:
I think when they get around puberty age there are a bunch more issues that happen because they become self conscious. My kid was 11 when diagnosed and barely resisted. She never questioned a test. Now she is full of apprehension and questions, especially when facing physical exams. Draw all the blood you want, who cares. Look at my privates and you better have a REALLY good reason she says.

I just re-read my post. Made me chuckle after your response pilgrim. That should be the rule of thumb with docs & everyone else! (Especially boys!)