• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Abcses after anal setons

hello.
I had 3 anal setons placed in January this year, they have been as I call it normal until sunday just gone. I found a mass under my skin (right inbetween 2 fistulas) before I went to bed. when I got up it was really big, I knew straight awsy it was another absces. currently taking antibiotics for it and it has burst its self.
has this happened to anyone else? I didn't think an absces cud appear once thr setons were placed?

DJW

Forum Monitor
Sorry you're dealing with another abscess. I can't offer any help.
Sending you my support.

@Carrie..Sorry to hear about another abscess : ( Have you had a pelvic MRI to provide you & your Surgeon with a roadmap of the area? If you had another abscess develop between two existing fistulas which already have draining setons I'm wondering if that would mean you have another distinct pocket of infection perhaps being fed by another sinus tract? Perhaps someone else may be able to provide you with more help in answering your question Carrie.

Hi there. Sorry you are dealing with this - you should be seen if you have not yet.
It is entirely possible for it to happen even though you have a seton. My fistulas have made new tracks that abscessed even though there was a seton placed. It is as though they get a bit clogged somewhere along the existing track and then goes off in a new direction. For me they cleaned it out and made sure it was connected and laid it open so it would heal back to the one track and seton.

It could also be a completely new fistula. It may be a good idea to have an mri and or a eua to have it checked out.

Thanks for all advice everyone.
It's funny, I had only just received a letter from my MRI scan which was performed in July, saying they are pleased to say I do not have any signs of collections of abscess anywhere. I guess it was missed or its new, scan was 6-7 weeks ago, guess there's time for it to. I'm due for another colonoscopy Wednesday, pending the result, I'll be ble to start biological therapy. Also got a follow up appointment with colorectal surgeon 22september. Will hopefully have colonoscopy results back by then and I'll certainly be telling them about this new visitor! Thankfully the swelling has gone down now! Still working full time and got my 3 yr old sone 24/7 to. I think I need to slow down. Im So tired all the time, maybe the new fistula/abscess could be because I'm run down, work is so stressful and it's not easy handling a challenging child! Hahaha.x

I'm scheduled for my 3rd ceton placement in a few weeks. I had complained about a peri-rectal lump and MRI confirmed it was a new fistula/abscess. I seem to get them every 3-4 years.

First order was a round of anti-biotics. They worked in terms of improving the drainage. In fact (to get graphic), I felt the abscess rupture during one BM and the toilet looked like a red Kool-Aid.

Since then, the mass has reduced considerably, but a ceton is still one of the best treatments.

The worst is to let the abscess go - something small enough can simply be drained during the ceton placement. Anything larger will need to be cut away, and then you're talking about weeks of wound care. I've been through that, and it isn't fun at all.

Best of luck.

I'm scheduled for my 3rd ceton placement in a few weeks. I had complained about a peri-rectal lump and MRI confirmed it was a new fistula/abscess. I seem to get them every 3-4 years.

First order was a round of anti-biotics. They worked in terms of improving the drainage. In fact (to get graphic), I felt the abscess rupture during one BM and the toilet looked like a red Kool-Aid.

Since then, the mass has reduced considerably, but a ceton is still one of the best treatments.

The worst is to let the abscess go - something small enough can simply be drained during the ceton placement. Anything larger will need to be cut away, and then you're talking about weeks of wound care. I've been through that, and it isn't fun at all.

Best of luck.
@Sully are you currently on a Biologic?

Yes - started Entyvio in August, but the abscess/fistula likely developed before then when on Humira.
@Sully, I had to look Entyvio up! I see that FDA approval was in May, 2014. My GI had discussed Remicade & Humira for my Perianal Fistulas. I'm not familiar with Entyvio. So you were on Humira first. How long were you on Humira for & why did you switch to Entyvio?

I had been on Humira for a little over a year. Doc wanted to switch because even though I wasn't getting worse, I was still showing a good amount of active disease.