• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Getting tested after fissure

I have IBD. My daughter has other multiple major health issues, and at her last appointment GI said we might need to test her for IBD. :( If her labs show inflammation, she'll likely need scopes. She has a fissure in her rectum along with inflammation and irritation that won't heal. It's been around for almost 2 weeks and even with treatment is still alternating between not getting better and getting worse. :frown:

Has anyone else had a kid that started with rectal bleeding and a fissure that lead to an IBD diagnosis? I'm really hoping she doesn't have it. Her crp and esr were normal, but her CBC had a lot flagged (some of that could be from her other stuff, haven't discussed results with GI yet). We need to bring in a stool sample to get tested too.

Your poor girl.:( I hope she doesn't have this.:hug:

For my dd it was abdominal pains and then rectal problems.

I hope you get answers soon.

I had an anal fissure that was so painful that I was not able to sit down or stand up. Lets all hope she does not have that.

I have CD. What made my Dr. suggest testing for it was 5 I&Ds of a peri-anal abscess/peri-anal abscesses (fissures) and a fistula that formed after that point. During that time I was also having other symptoms of Crohn's and still am, but that is what eventually led to more testing to get a diagnosis.

My 9yr old son became sick suddenly with daily fevers, extreme fatigue, abdominal pain, mouth ulcers, constipation, and anemia. He did (and still does) have an anal fissure and some rectal bleeding, but the fissure and resulting bleeding were a result of straining due to being constipation. I hope your daughter doesn't have IBD and these issues resolve soon.

Thank you everyone! So it does seem like fissures and bleeding are a fairly common first problem. The one saving grace is that she has no sensation in her bottom thanks to one of her other conditions, so she doesn't feel it at all. It looks like it would be extremely painful if she did have feeling.

The fissure came out of nowhere. :( she's severely constipated and incontinent all the time from the nerve damage, so she's on high doses of laxatives to keep her stool soft and moving. The last time she got impacted was about a month before the fissure showed up. She's been having random fevers recently too. :/ but she's always had stomach pains, constipation, and GI issues so it would be hard to tell if it was from her other conditions or a flare. We both had c diff last year, and that was miserable.

It still hasn't healed. The fissure part seems somewhat healed but the mucosa in her rectum is still inflamed. The results from the stool sample aren't back yet, so we're just waiting...