• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need a little help trying to work out what these results indicate

Have today received a print out of my Stool sample results, a Dr. was unable to give me a explanation of them today as he was out on call, so thought I'd see if i can get any help here, thanks in advance. So the results say the following:

Test 1 Faecal Calprotectin 742 ug/g (i know this is classed as high due to 120 roughly being abnormal and also is an indicator of inflammation)

Test 2 however says the following:
Faeces Sepcimen

Cryptosporidium --- Not Seen
Salmonella --- Negative
Shigella --- Negative
Campylobacter --- Negative
E.Coli 0157 --- Negative

I am just wondering whether Test 2 gives me any indication as to what is causing the Calprotectin in test 1 to be so high? Or does it (possibly) signal that the inflammation is solely due to IBD, as the specimen ruled out other causes?

nogutsnoglory

I'm not a dr but my interpretation based on this alone and not knowing your medical backstory would be indicative of gut inflammation and not due to a common pathogen that was ruled out.

I'm not a dr but my interpretation based on this alone and not knowing your medical backstory would be indicative of gut inflammation and not due to a common pathogen that was ruled out.
Thank you. My GI wants to follow this up with a colonscopy and MRI of stomach. My mother also has crohns so there is a family history. I had to ask as previously the impressions I've got were that if the inflammation is not caused by bacteria or pathogen (as mine are not) then it is down to Crohns or UC. :-/

nogutsnoglory

Given your family history and symptoms it seems highly likely it is IBD. A colonoscopy is a very good idea for a definitive diagnosis.