• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Story / Is my GI completely off-base?

Hello all; I’m frustrated and hope you all will have some insight for me.

I was diagnosed with Crohn’s in late April of 2013 (symptoms began at the beginning of March of 2013). At the time of that initial scope, I had “patches of inflammation throughout the colon and in the end of the small intestine” along with some aphthous ulcers. The GI put me on Asacol at that time (first 2400 mg daily, then 48oo mg daily). At the time of diagnosis, I was at college, and I went home about two weeks later. The GI I saw at home was horrified that the first GI had only put me on Asacol and immediately started me on six weeks of prednisone (started at 20 mg daily and tapered down). About two weeks into the prednisone, he started talking about starting me on either Remicade or Humira. At the end of July, I started Humira and saw immediate results.

A month later, I went back to school and began going into a flare. I was in denial at first, but saw my initial GI (or more accurately, the NP that he’d sent me to) at the beginning of October and was taken off of Asacol at that time. I had an MRE which showed two strictures, one in my terminal ileum, and one a bit higher up in the ileum. Apparently they were “too mild to be causing symptoms.” A colonoscopy and EGD three weeks later showed mild inflammation in my terminal ileum and rectum. I was then put on Canasa to treat the inflammation in my rectum. In November 2013, I had a capsule endoscopy and was admitted to the hospital two days later for what turned out to be severe constipation. The diagnosis of IBS was thrown around a bit. I should probably note here that I’ve had constipation issues since I was still in diapers that were very well controlled with diet prior to my immune system going berserk. In December, I was told that I was in remission and that my GI would soon be retiring. I was then referred to another GI in the same clinic. In January, I began having severe joint pain that escalated to include almost every moveable joint in my body. My awesome NP at the student health clinic gave me tramadol so that I could function during the day and sleep at night while she put through a referral to rheumatology.

Fast-forward to April 2014. I was having daily pain and nausea. I went to my new GI, who ordered another MRE which showed exactly the same thing the first one did: two strictures in my ileum (no change in the amount of narrowing) and a lot of stool in my colon. She called it constipation and sent me on my merry way with a script for Bentyl (which, by the way, doesn’t do much for me). Around that same time, I also saw a rheumatologist who couldn’t diagnose me and said that my joint pain was likely linked to my Crohn’s (but apparently not enough so to call it Crohn’s-related arthritis).

Then, in July, I had pain so severe that I was considering going in to the ER along with severe nausea. I called my GI’s office, and the triage nurse advised me to go to the ER because neither my GI nor the NP that I had seen before had any available appointments. In the ER, the doctor gave me IV fluids and ordered an abdominal x-ray which showed “a moderate amount of stool in the colon” and advised me to follow up with my GI. I called my GI the next day, and the nurse said that she’d talked to my GI and that my GI believed that it was IBS/constipation but didn’t bother doing any further examination. I was very pissed off and immediately scheduled an appointment with my NP at the student health clinic. She was frustrated that neither my GI nor the ER doc was doing anything for me. She asked me if I’d been given any meds for the nausea. When I said no, she asked, “Well, why not?!” and gave a script for 12 pills of 8 mg of Zofran (I still have some. Given how hard it was to get my hands on those, I guard them with my life and only use them when absolutely necessary. In August, I once again had pain so severe that I considered going to the ER but decided to try to wait until morning and call my GI first. This time, they got me in to see the NP that I had been seeing before my previous GI retired. She ordered another colonoscopy and EGD. My GI was not the one doing the procedure. The GI who did the procedure found inflammation in the rectum and apthae in the terminal ileum. The biopsies showed inflammation in the terminal ileum and irritation of the stomach. I assume they showed inflammation in the rectum as well, but I didn’t need a scope, much less biopsies, to know that.

I followed up with my NP about 10 days ago. She told me that although there was inflammation in my GI tract, it was so mild that it couldn’t possibly be causing my symptoms. Instead, she said that she believed that I had IBS and advised me to see a counselor (not a bad idea, but given how little I trust anyone at her clinic, including her, I will not see anybody that she recommends and will instead go to my school’s counseling center if I choose to go that route). She also suggested keeping a journal of symptoms, food intake, exercise, and stress on my bad days.

Thankfully, I’ve only had two really bad days since then, which is irritating in its own way because I have almost nothing to show in my journal, and I fear that my GI NP will see that as noncompliance. At this point, I don’t trust a single person in her clinic, including her. My concern is that as long as there is inflammation in my GI tract, my body will continue to damage and re-heal itself, which will cause more scar tissue to form, which will worsen my strictures. Alternately, the inflammation in my rectum could cause various manifestations of perianal disease. Either of these possibilities could lead to a need for surgery.

I don’t particularly appreciate the way that this NP said that my Crohn’s can’t be causing my symptoms (even though there is inflammation in each of the areas that has been hurting) and that it is “all in my head.”

So, thoughts, anyone? Time to have another discussion with my awesome NP at the student health clinic, maybe send my records to the GI back home (and his clueless staff), or seek another opinion from a GI at the only other GI clinic in town? Or am I completely wrong about this situation and my GI NP has got it right?

:sign0085:

I would suggest finding another GI for a second opinion. After 2.5 years with my first GI and inflamation (and not to mention granuloma in stomach and colon) found over that time, I still didnt get a diagnosis. Those results were always presented to me as minor irritation. When problems popped up again, my GP said he would send me where ever I wanted. Went to a well known university hospital. After a round of usual tests, I officially got my diagnosis.

I agree with Crohn'sFighter, you deserve better treatment than you have received. I too suffer from severe nausea - Zofran didn't work for me so I'm on Phenergan. I'm sorry that your Gi has not given you the proper care. I encourage you to speak up for yourself. Many of these docs are overloaded and/or don't properly read all the reports, etc - Good luck in finding a GI who will be able to give you the treatment you deserve!!

my little penguin

Staff member
You sound a lot like my son but he is only 10 and his Gi knows his constipation is a sign of crohn's for him. This takes time for some docs to accept.
A think a second opinion from another Gi experienced in Ibd at a major hospital might help.

As far rectal inflammation - that can be caused by crohn's and increase the constipation at least for my kiddo .
DS has to stay on miralax daily to keep things soft and moving enough let the rectum heal.
He has been on miralax for over three years .
Vsl#3 prescription strength also helped him since the areas causing the rectal issue was similar to UC. He also added formula to his diet ( peptamen jr with prebio).
We have found for him at least miralax + humira dosing+ Amount of formula needs to balanced just right to stop the constipation /rectal inflammation cycle.
But his docs say he is unique so check with yours before trying anything different .

He also has juvenile spondyloarthritis associated with crohn's.
It used to just be arthralgia /myalgia .

Hope you find a gi soon who can get your disease under control .

Ali -
Interestingly enough, my GI NP does look at my records before entering the room and notes all dates of previous tests and a summary of the findings on her paper that she brings into the room. I simply do not understand why she is doing nothing about the inflammation that has been found - my understanding of IBD is that the inflammation and immune assault will get worse if not properly treated.

penguin - I probably should have mentioned that I take miralax daily as well.

I plan to visit my other NP (the awesome one) tomorrow to get her take on the situation and discuss with her getting a referral to a GI at the other hospital/clinic system in town.

Hi,
and welcome. What are the medication you take right now for Crohns'? Are you still on Humira?
inflammation should definately not be left untreated.
Still on Humira (40 mg every other week), and Canasa (1 daily). Bentyl as needed. Miralax daily.

Lady Organic

Staff member
Hi Krae1,

if I understand properly, you 've been on Humira since over a year. Your CD symtoms are still persisting and you even started to have joint pain (called arthralagia) in the meantime. (remember than any medication, including HUmira can cause a multitude of side effects, so your joint pain can be CD related but could also be medication related). Canasa was added but this can help only rectum for mild inflammation. So your ileum is left untreated at this time or with only HUmira which seems not completly effective. Personally I would serioulsly question my GI further on other possibilities with different dosing of HUmira or other medication and if discussion is impossible, I'd seek definately for a second opinion. Other biologics exist and also other medication such as immuno-suppressives (Azathiopurine, 6-mp and methotrexate). the latest can be used in combination with biologics, but can also be taken alone.