• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stopping by to say hello and ask about fatigue

I'm not usually one to complain but I just need to vent for a few with people who may understand some of what I am going through. In the last 2.5 years I have gotten a divorce from an abusive man, watched my father pass away after being on life support for 6 weeks, moved home to help my mother and started a new job working nights while continuing to work a part time job 2 hours away. I was diagnosed 2 months ago with what the doctor thinks is Crohn's but isn't "100%" sure even though the symptoms all fit. On top of this I have fought and continue to fight endometriosis symptoms which I was diagnosed with 17 years ago. There are days where I wonder what I did wrong to deserve this but those thoughts are becoming fewer as I am able to manage my symptoms better with meds and diet. Unfortunately the symptom I can't shake is the fatigue. Has anyone found ways to help combat this? Also any advice on specific carbohydrate diet would be super appreciated as my naturopath highly recommended it. Thanks :ysmile:

Has your GI run labs to see if your vitamin deficient?

Lots of us struggle with fatigue even when labs don't know anything. I have been trying 4 yoga poses for Adrenal Fatigue (which I haven't been diagnosed with but am trying anything). The ones I got off the internet are very easy and take all of 5 minutes which is about all I can handle.

Good luck!

I'm so sorry about your dad.:(

In your situation the fatigue could be Crohn's or stress or grief or even overwork. I think that you should get a vitamin panel run and check your levels. Then you have a starting point for supplements.

Our daughter had been exhausted for as long as we can remember. She was somewhat anemic from the Crohn's as well as the fact that a body will use energy to deal with the disease. We noticed an amazing improvement in energy levels after 1. we supplemented her with iron as recommended by the GI and 2. supplemented her with Vit D (her levels were slightly below normal) and 3. we began a round of exclusive enteral nutrition to put her Crohn's into remission.

After trying some meds and it not working well for her, we decided to try the Specific Carbohydrate Diet after a round of enteral nutrition - that is she just drank Boost or Ensure drinks as her sole source of calories. No food. Only water for 6 weeks.

We are into the first week and I am doing it with her so I can test the food and get an idea of how it feels to eat this way. It is hard at first because you have to commit to the intro diet. I did a lot of reading, bought some equipment like a yogurt maker, and a juicer, and cookbooks. It's a no cheat diet in order for the process to work. She is little and it is a bit frustrating for her. I enjoy it because it is interesting to learn a new way of cooking and thinking about food. I hope it gets better for her.

If you are quite busy, the challenge would be spending the time learning to eat differently and do all the cooking. It's not easy, but for us it is starting well. Keep in mind I did hear the word "remission" from the GI before we started. The EEN really helped with that.