• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hair loss as a side effect?

Kev

Anyone heard of or experienced hair loss from Remicade. I had an extra hi dose in September, and now I notice I'm losing a lot of hair. It could be my age, or it could be from other drugs I'm on (Asacol, Diamicron, Rosavastatin). I've searched for any info on Remicade causing hair loss, but came up empty.
This isn't urgent, I've got lots to spare hair, but this latest symptom is troubling if it's related. Or it might indicate nutritional deficiency from my IBD.

Any thoughts, ideas or info would be welcome... Thanks

Kev

Thank you very much for this reply and the one on Asacol. I tend to think it is because of the recent high dose. I've been on Asacol (specifically) since May without hair loss, and on Remicade since June without hair loss. In the overall scheme of things its small potatoes. Other sites I visited didn't even mention it, and this site just says 'hair loss'.

As for Asacol, I was on Salofalk (another version of 5-ASA) for years with no hair loss... but Salofalk caused other issues that Asacol hasn't (so far).

It's just another in a long list of WTF's that this disease dishes out...

nogutsnoglory

Have you done a search on the forum for hair loss. I feel like it's not an uncommon occurrence with these meds. From my observation it seems particularly worst with the likes of 6mp, methotrexate but seems to be a fairly common concern for many.

You're probably right on all counts Kev. Asacol, Remicade, big dose, and nutrition deficiencies. I just switch from Remicade to Humira. I was off for 3 mths. When I started Humira (4 shots initially) I started loosing hair left and right, which is not a good thing for me as I've had thinning hair ever since I started Asacol 2 decades ago. I been plagued with Cheilitis (red, swollen lips) for the past year. In my research I've discovered it could be Crohn's of the mouth, a reaction to meds., allergies, or nutrition dificiency. I believe one of the signs of iron dificiency is hair loss...or maybe it was B12. Too much research and learned info. for my little brain to remember.
As for age, don't you know that crohn's or the treatment of said disease hastens your aging process exponentially?