• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Seattle grad vs. flair from hell

M

mordacaiMT

seattle grad vs. flair from hell

Hello

I'm a 22 year old living in Seattle. I just graduated from Seattle U and am living by myself for the first time. Forgive me if I seem to vent. If there is anyone who knows why I'm frustrated, it's you guys. Back in the spring of 2001, I was diagnosed with a mild case of UC. Everything was fine and dandy until last May. That's when the flair started. No abdominal pain, no severe weight loss, but diarrhea. After my yearly scheduled colonoscopy in September, my diagnosis was changed to Crohn's. Soon I started prednisone and Remicade. It worked a bit in spurts, but ultimately failed. I started Humira six weeks ago. I was hopeful when my symptoms started to die down, but in the past few days, things have returned to normal (normal being 20+ bowel movements a day). Maybe I should give it more time, but I don't know.

So all together: Imodium doesn't work. 2 of the 3 heavy duty "-imab" drugs don't work. And remember when I was first diagnosed with UC back in 2001. I was also diagnosed with Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis, a terminal liver disease, so those medications that affect my liver are out. I haven't slept through the night in 8 years. I have to take a change of pants and underwear everywhere I go. This flair has lasted about 15 months and doesn't show signs of stopping. I don't have a job yet, but how can I expect to be a productive worker if I have to rush to the bathroom 10 or so times a day? I'm at the end of my ropes here.

I'm just tired of living everyday worrying. I know that there are many more people who have it much worse than I do. I guess I just joined this forum to know I'm not alone.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Hi Mordacai - sorry you are feeling so crappy. You've found a great place though. Do a lot of reading and searching on here and you might just find something else to try. What about a double dose of Humira? Ifg it started working at first, a double dose might hbe just what yo uneed. Not approved for Crohn's, only RA but your insurance company just might approve it if you have failed Remi too. Something else I am thinking of is Cholestyramine (sp) it's supposed to bulk up your stools so you don't go as often. I honestly don't know how that would be different than immodium, and I couldn't drink it, but a few people on here use it.
Welcome to the forum.