• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Starting to get to me...

Hello there, I'm new on the forum but have been reading it for a few months now. It is certainly an awesome place to get a ton of info so many thanks for all of that.

My story: I was diagnosed with Crohn's of the terminal ileum and colon back in February of this year after about two months of bloody diarrhea, going 6-10x per day, and abdominal pain. At that time, I was able to get back into remission by May after trying some medicines and found two that seemed to work: prednisone and Imuran. I was taking 100mg of Imuran and calcium and iron supplements daily until about a month and a half ago when this flare that I'm still having got too bad to handle on my own. In mid august I started having bloody stools again, sometimes loose, sometimes not and slight abdominal pain that would come and go. After 2 or 3 weeks though, it progressively got worse. I originally thought it was just a flare and that it would eventually go away but told my doctor about it who recommended another prednisone course. Unfortunately, it just kept getting worse and I was admitted to the hospital where I stayed for two weeks in extreme pain, bloody diarrhea, going 10-15x per day. I got a couple of heavy doses of iv steroids, iv iron, iv fluids, a blood transfusion, and humira which helped only a little. Unfortunately this was all during my first semester of medical school down in Florida, and since I wasn't getting much better the doctor recommended I withdraw from school and go back home to MD until I was healthy again. Obviously not an ideal situation :(

Now I'm back home living in my parents house but I'm completely bed ridden. It's been almost a full 3 months with this flare. Too frequent bowel movements which are excruciatingly painful every time, abdominal pain which is also quite bad at times, still losing blood, very fatigued from the BM's and malabsorption of nutrients. I can hardly get up and walk around for more than 10-20 minutes before getting short of breath and having to lie/sit down. My parents are very concerned and stressed which makes it a little more stressful for me at times. I'm back on prednisone and have been having quite a few side effects from it this time, which I didn't have the first time I was on it and those have been driving me crazy. I was also on biweekly injections of Humira but just found out today that the level of it in my blood is too low so I'm switching to weekly injections. I don't know it just seems like a lot of medicines that I've tried just didn't work or aren't working. Now my new GI's also saying that he's not even sure if it's Crohn's or UC, which could be a good thing I guess because from what I understand UC is a slightly better disease to have but still the uncertainty is really disheartening.

Wow that was kinda long, haha. I guess I'm just starting to go a little nuts and needed a place to vent it out a bit, haha. Quite honestly I can say that it does feel kinda good to have gotten some of this off my chest. So many thanks again to this forum and to all of you in it who have given me this avenue to vent and also a ton of info through all of this.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome.

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. The first year is usually the worse.
Sending you my support. I hope you get sustained remission soon.

dave13

Forum Monitor
Welcome Dimethos,this is indeed the place to vent.I'm glad you have been checking out the forum and decided to post.I feel when we vent it allows us to better focus on fighting this disease.Many of us can relate to each others rants.I was curious why your GI is leaning towards UC rather than CD.Hope to read more of your posts.

my little penguin

Staff member
Hugs
Hang in there
The first year is the hardest.
But it will get better slowly .
Humira takes time to work
They may even add MTX or Imuran to the humira as well to boost it.
To help with malnutrition you could ask your Gi about EEN ( formula only no food)
It can help reduce inflammation and can be used in conjunction with other meds.
As a bonus it helps much needed easy to convert nutrition the body needs.
DS drinks peptamenjr but others have used boost or ensure some need elemental like bio ex
Tagging jmrogers
Clash
Crohnsinct
Good luck

crohnsinct

So sorry to hear all you are going through! MLP is right the first year is tough. My daughter was on Remicade. The doc had her also on prednisone until the Remicade built u enough to where it could handle everything. Unfortunately, every time we tried to taper, disease crept back in. 4 months in the doc said that while Remicade was doing the heavy lifting it needed help to get her all the way to remission and suggested adding methotrexate. I didn't want to add another med so we elected a course of Exclusive Enteral Nutrition. 8 weeks total. It was a lifesaver. It got her to remission, she gained weight, blood work excellent. She drank all her nutrition, 8-10 shakes a day. There are plenty of studies that say EEN works just as good if not better than steroids. It has the added benefit of mucosal healing. I think the complete bowel rest helped a lot also. We eventually added mtx but that was for something else. We are currently thinking about supplemental en to help with some nutritional issues. We felt we had nothing to lose by trying and it certainly couldn't hurt.

Good luck! I hope you get relief soon and the your dx is solidly defined with a clear treatment plan.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum :)

Thanks for sharing your story. I also have crohn's in my terminal ileum and colon.

Sorry to hear you are struggling so much at this point. Vent all you want here, we are all here to listen and support one another.

I agree, the first year is always hard. Your life changes so much and there's so much you don't understand and so many different emotions come to you as you learn to handle this new challenge in your life and struggle with the reality of becoming a lab rat to hopefully achieve remission. Stay strong....wishing you a healthier future full of remission. :hug: