• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need help: Having a fistula 3 months already

Hello,
About 3-4 months ago, I found out that I have a little hole beneath my anus.
I was VERY anxious about it, so without going to the doctor, I did a little research on the internet, and thought that it was only a fissure, and that it could heal by itself, so I didn't do anything about it.

Not long ago, I read more about it and came to the conclusion, that I have a fistula and that's a very serious issue.

Now, I sometimes feel a little pain, but it doesn't interfere with my life at all.
I'm afraid to go to a doctor and do a surgery, because, then it will hurt and will interfere with my life, my job and everything :(:(

What do you think? Should I do a surgery? Are there people that live with this and are totally fine? What's the worst that could happen if I won't treat it? Could it heal by itself?
I really need your thought on this.

Thanks

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome.

I think you needs to see the doctor first. Get it assessed and find the cause.

Sending you my support.

nogutsnoglory

I agree with DJW, you can't ignore it. Let the surgeon assess it and together you can make the call but please do so in conjunction with someone who is an experienced colorectal surgeon.

Failure to take care of it can result in it getting worse, creating severe pain and infection to the point where people have to have surgical removal or other techniques. Many of us are all too familiar.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
It is good that you made an appointment to be seen, you really do need a positive diagnosis on it.

Just because you have a fistula, does NOT automatically mean you will have surgery. I had multiple fistuals and never had surgery on them, as they were not causing too much of an issue, at least medically....And I had them for probably 2 years.....finally was put on Remicade, which took care of hte fistuals.

Make sure you get all your questions answered, write them down in advance if you can, and don't be afraid to ask for a second opinion if the surgeon is pushing surgery. From what I have read and seen, many Crohns' patients do not have as great an outcome with surgery because of the history of disease.

Until now I thought that surgery is the only way to treat it.
I didn't know that medication could really cure it, thank you.. I'm a little less anxious now