• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

From possible SMA to Gallbladder Removal to Possibl Sphincer of Oddi Dysfunction

From possible SMA to Gallbladder Removal to Possible Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction

Needless to say this year has been a tremendous challenge - 2 tests showed I have SMA, the last test showed I don't have it but I have a lot of charastics of this disease (Superior Mesenteric Syndrome). Then I had a HIDA Scan w CCK which was within the normal range, but during the CCK injection - it reproduced the pain/nausea that I have after eating all the time and this is an indication of an abnormal digestive process involving the gallbladder. Not that I could really eat fatty meals before but I'm a little worried about what I will be able to tolerate afterwards as I weigh less than I did in High School (I'm turning 50 next month - Uggg). I'll just be happy for the wonderful family I have in my life that will be here cooking Thanksgiving Dinner for everyone but me - but I'll be with my loved ones!!

So Gallbladder is scheduled to be removed 11/26 day before Thanksgiving (not that I was going to be able to eat much of anything). I'm praying this will solve the nause/pain after eating or drinking fluids as it has taken a huge toll on my life.

Bad news is that if this doesn't help - Surgeon thinks it is Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction which again means surgery and less than a handful of surgeons in DFW area can do this.

While I'm so greatful that I might be able to cure some of my issues, it seems I end up with the most obscure diseases.

I just keep reminding myself that I'm not on the path I chose but the path God chose and I will continue to have hope and faith. There is a reason for everything - hopefully the paths will merge and be in a peaceful place.

Last edited:
Ali29. I really hope gallblader removal is the answer for nausea/pain. I wish you a very successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

I hope the surgery went well. I had pains the GP felt was gall bladder related and after a HIDA scan that showed a 24% ejection percentage which is low normal we decided to remove it. It didn't solve the problem. And now I can't take opiate based pain meds as I have severe billiary spasms. The GI feels its possible I have Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction but since the attacks have slowed for now(as along as I avoid pain meds) I haven't pushed for more testing.

Recovering ok from the surgery. Thought I wouldn't need the pain pills like they told me I would in the hospital but that part is ok but am in pain/nausea. Surgeon said Gallbladder was yellow and likely diseased - awaiting the pathology report and hoping this will be the end of the pain/nausea/vomiting - makes me feel better about the removal since it's obvious something was wrong with it.

A very odd thing has since happened. Every time I try to eat (soft serve nonfat yogurt, jello, or mashed potatoes) - the left side of my face swells severly from behind the ear to my jaw down my neck (very uncomfortable and afraid it might strangle me) then goes down about 40 minutes later (liquids no problem). This happened several times, called the surgeon - he said he had never heard of this happening after being intebated (I thought maybe they damaged something) and to go to the ER - called my dentist (maybe damaged a tooth?) left a message and headed to the ER. (This was Friday 5:45pm) ER Doc said they are kind of rough when they pull the head/neck back to intebate but the ER doc & my dentist talked - the swelling is in the soft tissue no abceses in my mouth/teeth - they decided I needed Amoxicillin 500mg 3 x day until the dentist can look at it Monday 9am and see if it is tooth related. Today has been better much less swelling - if it is weird it happens to me.

When I look at the insides of my cheeks it looks like little white dots - not really raised at all. I have never encountered anything like this at all.

Thank you for your concern - I was just so excited to hopefully find something to make me better but this swelling thing makes me look like a Chipmonk! Maybe just one more hurdle. :ybatty:

Update to my never ending story (like so many of us). Antibiotics got rid of the chipmunk cheeks (unknown cause by ER, Denist, and Peridontist). Pathology on gallbladder - diseased. Weaned myself off the Fentaynl patch 12/26 - praying that the pain/nausea would go away with the gallbladder removal. Well that didn't happen and the constant diarrhea came back with a vengeance!! The patch obviously was helping some to control it. Went back to the GI in January - he is at a loss. Pain Dr asked that they do an ERCP, my GI said I have a high risk of Pancreatitis with my current health and does not recommend. They put me on a trial of Welchol which helped with the diarrhea but in 2 days I threw up 2 times due to the restrictions of meds for nausea/pain 4 hrs before/after - same reaction as Questran lots of bloating/gas/pain. Couldn't take it, stopped the meds. Labs from November were not bad.

I have lost 17 lbs since the summer - now I'm at 96/97 lbs. I cannot gain weight, even when I was on the Prednisone. I feel so deflated, my husband is so upset about the weight loss as I was on the thin side anyway. My hair is still falling out going on 3 yrs now, nothing has helped (lots of shampoos, etc) think it is from whatever disease & vitamins I'm loosing. The nausea/pain/diarrhea is so overwhelming - living on meds to just try and survive. I'm eating (non fat yogurt is a favorite now) but I can eat other food but just putting food on my stomach hurts, the other day after eating some bread dipped in olive oil my stomach hurt so bad just to lay on my right side and could only lay on my back or left side. I could feel the food moving from the left to the right side of my stomach pain was terrible. Fatty foods are a bad food before and after the gallbladder removal.

I have now been referred to UT Southwestern to a GI who treats women differently due to hormones, etc. so hopefully there is something to that but I'm tired, worn out, and have lost any semblance of a life. Everything revolves around how I feel - if I have to go to the Dr I have to make sure I have enough meds in me that I'm not going to be sick or have an accident. All I can do is lay on the bed/couch watch TV.

I look in the mirror and say this isn't me, how can this be my life. I pray all the time, I know God has a plan for me but I still can't figure it out. I'm hoping the new GI can shed some light. Sorry this has gone on and on - I've been on the Forum just haven't felt like talking but I'm going to keep my chin up, talk again, and be thankful - things could be a lot worse!!! :ywow:

I had my GB out a year ago. The nausea and pain are significantly better but not gone. My GI doesn't think my continued pain/nausea/failure to gain weight had anything t I do with my GB needing to be removed ( it was totally non functional). He continues to lean towards Crohns but won't put me on anything stronger than Pentasa I'm scheduled for an EGD next week. Praying for some answers. Keep the faith. We are suffering for a reason. This is God's plan . Praying you get some answers.