• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to forum, undiagnosed for 2+ years

Hi all,

My name is Rhiannon and I am 20 years old. For the past 2 odd years I have been suffering with bowel problems, and over the past year I have gotten worse and worse. My health really started to take a bad turn when I was half way through my first year at university, studying Chemistry. I have unfortunately had to change courses (after getting a 1st and being in the top 45 in the year out of 150) to psychology, and now I am afraid that I will have to intercalate and resume my studies next year.

I have been under my consultant for around 2 years, and have had an MRI, endoscopy, colonoscopy etc etc. They claim to have found nothing, although when I read my Gastro's notes when he left the room, they had found a small patch to be enflamed and had been attacked by my WBC. He keeps telling me it is Crohn's and then keeps changing his mind. I have been seen by 2 Gastro's (one of which didn't even look at me properly and just told me it was IBS-C), and 2 dermatologists after I got what looked like erythema nodosum all over my legs - they took a biopsy looking for something that could turn cancerous but came back as 'folliculitus' (even my GP said it was EN - they didn't even test for that on the biopsy and then later told me the dermo who did it and the gastro only did the biopsy for 'academic research'. My symptoms first started as chronic constipation and vomiting/nausea but have soon turned into constant retching, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea over a short period of time - I have been unable to eat properly for the last 18 days and have lost 10lbs. I was not a heavy weight to begin with, I have dropped from 8st 4lbs to 7st 8lbs - my weight before all of this started.

I would appreciate any advice somebody could give me and thank you for reading.

Rhiannon

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome to the community. I'm so sorry to hear about your struggles :( Being undiagnosed makes it that much worse, I know.

Have they performed a fecal calprotectin test and a CRP blood test?

All my best to you.

dave13

Forum Monitor
have soon turned into constant retching, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea over a short period of time - I have been unable to eat properly for the last 18 days and have lost 10lbs. I was not a heavy weight to begin with, I have dropped from 8st 4lbs to 7st 8lbs - my weight before all of this started.
Welcome rhiannonny

Have the GI's ruled out stricturing? I experienced similar symptoms and weight loss that led to a blockage.It may not be,but worth checking out.