• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Born Old

Hi Everyone,
It's taken me a while to get around to doing this, because I just didn't know what to say. Well here I go.
When I was born my mother was unable to produce enough breast milk to keep me full so Mum and Dad had to put up with me crying constantly for three months. During this time they kept trying to get help from the doctors and other health professionals. But all they were told was that I was a colicky Baby. It was not until my mother lost it and came very close to killing me (and after three months of constant crying I don't blame her) that she asked one of her friends to take me for a while. While her friend had me, the friend gave me a bottle of formula and found that I was instantly quite (thank the Lord).
At the age of Five Mum took us girls and we left Dad (that was wise). During this year I ended up with a really sick stomach (so sick I had the doctor doing long home visits). Mum thought she would have to take me to hospital because I was not getting better.
When I was fifteen I ended up with Gandular fever (which blood tests can't find now).
During the last few years of college/high school I started to find myself too tired to be able to do my afternoon classes and felt a little sick (so I was spending my afternoons in the sick bay).
When I got married at age 19 years 11 months and three weeks, I blew up like a balloon and was extremely sore tired and otherwise sick. That is when I went back to my old family doctor with a two page list of symptoms and he diagnosed Fibromyalgia. At this time this doctor said "You were born old".
A few years later my new Doctor (and she is great) diagnosed that I also have Asthma and Hayfever.
In February 2005 (while I was studying at my local Polytechnic)I went to my Doctor for a repeat on my proscriptions and she asked if there was anything else up (thank the Lord she did). I told her I had a slight stomach ache, she told me to lay down and after some quick prodding said She was sending me up to the hospital in a taxi for appendicitis. The hospital staff said I was too happy and healthy. So after a wasted day I returned home. Nine months later I have suffered several months of weight loss, diarrhea and pain and was grateful when the hospital decided after many letters from my doctor to give me a colonoscopy. The Colonoscopy showed Crohn's disease and so I was put on a range of meds which went in one end and came out the other. After a week of this I was put in hospital for 1 week of TPN followed by 1 week of reintroducing food back in to my diet.
I now live with the reality of having a flare up every three to four months and as it can take that long to get off the prednisone and other meds I am getting a little annoyed.
I have now been on an Elemental Diet for three weeks and strongly recommend anyone who needs it gets stubborn and does the diet properly. I admit to really looking forward to eating a normal diet in a few weeks but we will see.
Thank you for reading this and I hope you all have a great day.

Another New Zealander. Lots of activity from that neck of the woods lately!

That is quite a history, but it sounds like you are figuring it all out as far as how to treat it with diet.

It seems most people have a love/hate relationship with Prednisone. I am glad I have not had the opportunity to experience it first hand.

Good Luck with the diet, and let us know how it works out, and welcome to the forum.

Dan

Yay - another Kiwi!!! we seem to be popping up a bit lately :)

Welcome to the forum and I hope you find it as useful as I have.

Where abouts are you? I am in Dunedin.

Shaz :Flower: