• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

VSL#3 causes intestinal cramping

Hi, my doctor recommended I try VSL#3 as part of my treatment for Crohn's disease. I've tried it for several days on three separate occasions now, and find that each time I experience increased intestinal cramping and discomfort. Prior to speaking with the doctor I had been taking Florajen3 which never gave me any issues. Has anyone else ever had this issue with VSL#3? I feel bad because they were quite expensive, it's like $50 just sitting in my fridge.

Hi, my doctor recommended I try VSL#3 as part of my treatment for Crohn's disease. I've tried it for several days on three separate occasions now, and find that each time I experience increased intestinal cramping and discomfort. Prior to speaking with the doctor I had been taking Florajen3 which never gave me any issues. Has anyone else ever had this issue with VSL#3? I feel bad because they were quite expensive, it's like $50 just sitting in my fridge.
I take the VSL#3 DS packets twice daily. I have never had an issue such as that. It is a probiotic which carries a handful of different bacteria strains into you digestive tract. Some of which may produce more gas than you are used to which may cause cramping. I would say give it some more time as your body may just be adjusting. Hope that helps. I'm also upstate NY!

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds takes vsl#3 double strength for over a year now.
The first week or so he did have more stomach cramps but then it went away.
It really has helped with his rectal symptoms .