• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Back issues?

This is a little complicated, but I will try. For years I have had lower back pain when doing anything really strenuous, after a few days of heat patches and relaxing the pain goes away.so, the other day I was doing something strenuous and the pain is now going on, seems to be lasting a little longer then previously. I am wondering if this is something like osteoarthritis? I was on prednisone for a few months this year and I am worried this is the start of some bone loss problems. I also have sciatic issues aswell. So I'm really not sure. I booked an appt with my GI, but I thought I would ask here also. The pain seems to be worse when I am going from sitting to walking, after walking a bit the pain and stiffness lessens. It's right at my very lower back.

Back pain can have a lot of causes, particularly in women. It is generally a case of narrowing it down. I had spasm like back pain for years, most obviously following stomach crunches. I'd assumed it was muscular but it turned out to be internal pain radiating outwards from where my organs were all stuck. Sometimes we unconciously compensate. I don't know about osteoarthritis I'm afraid. I lost bone density which caused osteoporosis but that is asymptomatic. I hope its something straightforward.