• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Undiagnosed Child

I am a newbie here, me and my wife are both italians but we live in UK London.
This story is about my son, he is 5 years old and started everything 2 months ago.
We decided to reintroduce milk in his diet and after 2-3 days he developed diarrhea and blood in the stool. We stopped the milk and the blood was gone, we tried again and we had the very same result.

The GP at first told us, it is a virus so it is ok. The second time we went he decided to go for the stool test, because he was a bit suspicious of the blood again. Today we just got the results and the value of the Calprotectin in stool was 1280. Tomorrow we are going to have a visit with him and then pediatrician.

We are, of course scared and I think this situation is a nightmare for parents, but we are in and we have to do all that we can. I am writing to have more info about this diseases, and I hope that people with experience can give us some info/help. I still cannot believe, ma son is pretty tall for a 5 years old and the height is above the average for his age, I was not expecting this.

Can he have a normal life? can you advice us something to read or to get informed?

thank you all for any advice or just to share your experience.
Ale

dave13

Forum Monitor
Welcome to the forum Alexlta

Sorry your child is going through this.Have you checked out the parents support groups? Here is one of them http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=59511.

I understand you are scared for your child and what will happen next.Perhaps if you can think of questions you have for the doctor and write them down.If you have questions written down before you see the doctor you may be able to get the most out of the appointment.Less of a chance for a 'I should of asked the doctor...' moment when you get home.

It is scary and a lot to accept when you are first diagnosed,but you can have a good quality of life.This disease can change our lives and we have to adjust,but many continue to pursue their passions.

There is a lot of information in the resource section.I hope the appointment tomorrow goes well.Let us know how it goes.