• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Crohn's Story

Hello, I am very glad to have found this forum! I was diagnosed with Crohns in 2005, although like most I had symptoms for a couple of years prior to a confirmed diagnosis. I started having symptoms right after my husband died in 2003, but assumed it was stress and poor eating rather than an active disease process. After I was diagnosed I was out on pentasa. After a year on pentasa I weaned off and worked to manage my occasional flare ups with diet. During the same time frame I had gall stones, so also had my gall bladder removed. that cleared up a LOT of my pain for quite a while. Fast forward to 2014...I had several other health issues requiring hospital stays over the years (meningitis twice, pneumonia, broken bones requiring surgery, hysterectomy) but my Crohns was pretty much in a dormant state and did not cause anything other than an occasional issue. However, in September of this year I had a major setback. My sister passed away from breast cancer. The last week before she passed I had not been feeling well at all. A lot of stomach and Bum pain which I associated with stress and hemroids. Two days after she died my Bum pain was so bad I finally went to my Dr. Turned out I had an infected hemroid and was sent to the surgeon. I ended up in surgery that same day because the infection was so bad. After surgery I felt better...until 4 days later. I began having more pain and pressure. Went back to surgeon for follow up and ended up having developed an abscess which required another surgery to drain exactly 7 days after the first one. The surgeon sent me to GI doc for tests and eval a he believed my Crohns was the underlying cause of the issues. Within a week of the second surgery I began having pain again, and after two MRI and sigoscoypy (sp) they found two fistulas. I ended up back in surgery two weeks after second one having a draining seton stitch put in. Am now on 1000mg flagyl per day and have to have seton in until at least January. ( it's very uncomfortable). Gi doc has discussed Remicadee but not until after all infection is gone and stitch is removed. Surgeon is discussing either removing seton to see if it will heal on its own with the flagyl or remicade or putting in cutting seton. The last few months have been filled with some of the worst pain have had to deal with. It has been a blessing to find this forum and know I'm not alone in dealing with this unpredictable disease!

dave13

Forum Monitor
Welcome

I have fistulas and draining setons too.Yeah,they are not the most comfortable things to deal with.Have you checked out the fistula,fissures and abscesses support group?

You are definitely not alone dealing with this unpredictable disease.I'm glad you found the forum. :thumright:

Honey

Staff member
Hi there and welcome
you certainly have had a rough time. I hope things continue to improve for you now, and wish you well. It is good to talk on this forum with those who understand. All best wishes:rosette1::dusty::rosette1: