• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Infected incision - what do you do when you've finished antibiotics?

I finished a week-long course of antibiotics a few days ago for an infection in the incision from my surgery last September. I'd left the infection for quite a while before I saw a doctor and got antibiotics, hoping it would heal on its own, as it didn't seem to be getting any worse, but it didn't get better either. It was from internal surgical staples eroding the skin.

When I saw the doctor, there was a tiny scabby bit which was oozing white pus plus a bit of blood if the scab rubbed off on my clothes, surrounded by a red patch of skin a few centimetres across, which was very sore to touch. Now, having finished the antibiotics, there is no pus, and the red patch has shrunk to more like half a centimetre diameter, but where there is red it's still sore and the scab is still there (and there may be pus if the scab came off). The doctor said to come back straight away if it got worse, and it definitely isn't worse, but should all signs of infection be gone by the time you finish antibiotics?

DJW

Forum Monitor
See the doctor. I've had issues like this in the past. The infection gets a lot better but returns after the antibiotics are finished.

I would definitely see the Dr to get it checked out, especially with Christmas coming up where it's harder to get in to see someone. Even if you just go to your GP they should hopefully be able to prescribe more antibiotics or put your mind at ease.

I think I will have to see the GP. The scab rubbed off on my clothes and an internal staple is coming through the skin - it's visible, and I'm pretty sure I'm not meant to be able to see things that are supposed to be internal!