• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Crohn's Story

Hi everyone, I'm 21 years old. I'm from Canada and I was diagnosed with Crohn's about 2 or 3 months ago. It all started about a year ago when i started getting terrible stomach aches, I developed a perianal abcess, my appetite started to diminish, and I began losing weight rapidly. I played on the track and field team at my university where I competed in weight throw and shot put (I was 220 lbs).

I went to see the doctor initially where he said my stomach aches were probably stress related and gave me medication for hemorroids. Once I began losing weight and sleeping 12-14 hours a day because I was so weak I returned and then was given anti-depressants as I was diagnosed with depression (I was probably fairly depressed because I didn't know what was going on with my body).

Anyways, by the end of the year I decided to find a new doctor to help me and within a month or so I was getting a colonoscopy and given a diagnosis. By this time i was 165 lbs and was quite nutrient deficient and had a terrible track and field year.

After being diagnosed I was prescribed prednisone, and it worked really really well. I felt ten times better and was finally myself again. Now I have just started dental school this past week and I am almost off prednisone and this was the first day that I felt terrible again (stomach ache, little appetite). I don't know if I should take prednisone again, I don't want to become dependant on it, but I also don't want to go through all that pain again.

Anyways thanks for listening, and I hope I can gain some more knowledge about this disease and make some good decisions concerning future medication and treatment. Thanks!

hi and welcome, Marcus :)

i think if i were you, i'd make an appointment to see the consultant, just to keep him up to speed on how your symptoms are acting right now... although it could be possible that they've returned a little simply because of your starting dental school... Crohn's reacts very closely to any stress or worries we have, and embarking on a new course might just be enough to bring symptoms on.... hopefully they'll just calm down as you settle into the course - but i would let your doc know, and then at least the question regarding whether to take the pred again or not would be via his advice.

Thanks Dingbat! That sounds like really good advice. I definitely have felt overwhelmed and stressed with my new and hectic schedule and that very well could be what triggered this slight flare up.

Stress is definitely going to be high during dental school, but im determined to not let this disease crush my dream of becoming a dentist.

farm

Captain Insaneo
Stress is definitely going to be high during dental school, but im determined to not let this disease crush my dream of becoming a dentist.
Good for you. You have a whole team of crohines behind you here!!

Hi Marcus, welcome. I'm new here as well and also from Canada, I read that Canada has the highest rate of crohn's disease. I wonder how many of you guys are from Canada?

I agree that stress makes things worse and can cause things to flare up. You have a really good attitude and determination. Good luck with everything.