• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira and depression :(.

I have been experiencing very bad depression and mental fogginess. I have been on Humira for 5 years. When I speak with my pharmaceutical company they do as if there are any physical or mental changes. I do have mental changes. Do you think this could be related to Humira?

theOcean

If you've been on it for five years, I would think it's a bit strange that it would happen suddenly now -- I would expect that more when you initially go on a new medication. Are you on anything else, or is there something else going on in your life that may be influencing how you're feeling mentally/emotionally?

I haven been on Humira for 7 years and I have wondered what the long term effects could be. I am suffering from severe depression right now, as well as, cognitive impairment. I do have neuropathic pain too.
I just decided to stop the Humira without discussing with GI as I know he would not agree. I am in remission and I realize that I am taking a risk but my mental changes are more of a concern right now as I am unable to work. Also, I am experiencing a deep depression like never before. I feel that the unknown long term side effects of Humira was and is very concerning to me. So, I do understand what you are saying.
I may have just made a dumb and risky choice but what is happening to me cognitively and neurologically is more concerning to me. I also want to add that my brain MRI shows atrophy at 3 different areas in my brain. Depression is known to cause atrophy as well as cause a pseudo dementia. Just so much unknown with these very powerful medications

Yes I have.... A couple of months ago..... I am being worked up in Boston MGH memory disorder clinic. Also had a spinal tap to look for MS and Early Onset Dementia. The spinal tap came back negative.