• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Starting out on humira

I'm about to start humira on Wednesday and I'm wondering what to expect. I'm a bit anxious about starting this as the side effects sound pretty horrible but I'm hopeful that these are not that common. Could anyone tell me how they got on with it? Also I'm wondering how long it might be before side effects start to appear. Is it straight away or do days, weeks or months pass before side effects become apparent? Cheers, ben

Probably the toughest thing to get over is the fact that you may experience some pain during the injection. This is short lived, for me anyways, but has been worth it. I would say that for me I have been pretty much side effect free other than feeling a bit of a headache the day or two after the injection. I started out injecting on a bi-weekly schedule but had to go to weekly about 11/2 years ago. I have been on humira since 2011.
When I first started on humira, it did not take very long before I felt improvement. Where I really noticed it was in the lessened joint pain.

theOcean

Side-effects are really just liability; with Humira especially it's rare to get them. The most I generally hear about is sinus issues. You should hopefully be just fine!

I really didn't get side-effects (sinus problems) until I was on it for almost a year, and then it's inconsistent and manageable. It would totally vary depending on the person, and if they build antibodies to the medication (which is generally rarer with Humira).

Outside of that, it's been a life-saving medication.

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds has been on humira for 1.5 years so far.
No major issues.
It took a while to work 4-6 months .
Gi wise he is good
Only increased and added Mtx due to juvenile spondyloarthritis.

Good luck

My five year old had no side effects with Humira. The spot hurt but was short lived.
Doing the shot on Friday night will help to give you the weekend to recover for any side effect.... if you have them.

Thanks guys for your replies. That's all very encouraging. Feeling less apprehensive now. I'll let you know how I get on.

I'm about to start humira too... I just got the insurance approval today.
I'm a bit anxious about side effects (and other long term possible issues)
I think I'll wait for a few more weeks, I had my 3rd surgery, 2 months ago and I just started to feel good, so there is no emergency but I've read that it's better to start humira when the disease is not active.

I know I shouldn't feel too much anxious, because my crohn's side effect will be another surgery in a few years if I don't take a medication...

This forum is very helpful !

Hey Good luck Bennyboy and come tell us how it's going :)

My daughter started treatment last week. I could tell the shots were painful, however she didn't have a bruise or mark on the injection locations at all. She took a good long nap that afternoon and then afterwards she was fine. Everything normal.

I talked to the pharmacist a week afterwards and she said that most side effects are seen between 24-48 hours. The next most common time is 1 week after for some issues. She said that often if the second injection(s) occur with no issues then you could well be in the clear.

All the best as you embark on your treatment!

Hi all. Thought I'd update you. I injected all four pens today for the first time with the help of the nurse who came out to visit me and other than a little bit of localised pain when the fluid was going in (which I think was to do with not having mastered the technique yet rather than the medication itself), a mild head ache a slight bit of tiredness I am so far side effect free, no nausea or anything else. Hoping this continues, I'll update again in a while. Feeling relieved.

Hi Everyone,
I was diagnosed with rare crown's about 15 years ago.
I was treated with Pentasa and Asacol ( drug allergy )
I am starting Humira today, after major allergic reaction to Remicade.
I'm scared but want to have it behind me already. After reading some of the posts I am afraid of the pain , also I am not looking forward to gaining weight ...
I know Im doing the right thing, need to get better ........... but scared

I've been on Humira since 2007. I started off 80mg bi weekly and now i'm at 40mg once a week. I have yet to see any side effects. I do recommend the humira shots that are like epipens. I found the actual syringes hurt during injection, where as the epipen version is just a mild irritation and little easier to use.

Hi Everyone,
I was diagnosed with rare crown's about 15 years ago.
I was treated with Pentasa and Asacol ( drug allergy )
I am starting Humira today, after major allergic reaction to Remicade.
I'm scared but want to have it behind me already. After reading some of the posts I am afraid of the pain , also I am not looking forward to gaining weight ...
I know Im doing the right thing, need to get better ........... but scared
I haven't had any side effects since starting Humira. The pain when I was injecting was only mild and I think it was because I was squeezing my skin too tight and pressing the pen too hard, the first injection was pain free I think because I was pressing gently and squeezing gently. I've got two more pens to do in a weeks time so hopefully my technique will help with this. Good luck with starting humira, hope the first dose has gone OK.