• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just diagnosed

My son was just diagnosed before Christmas with Crohn's disease. He is a 20 year old college student. I am worried about him for many reasons. He has lost over fifteen pounds and I am not happy with our doctor. I feel like the doctor diagnoses patients with this disease everyday and my son is just another one of his patients. However, I highly doubt he diagnoses young adults and they are not my son. I am worried that the meds is taking have so many side affects and his weight loss worries me. I wish we could find some foods that would help him gain weight and possibly something that is more along the line of natural remedies. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm so sorry to hear of your son's struggles. It is so hard to watch your child have to deal with this illness.

What medications is your son on? It can take many of the medications some time to reach therapeutic levels. If your son is unhappy with his GI then a second opinion or new GI maybe in order. Since my son was 15 at dx he sees a ped GI hopefully until age 24 but definitely til age 21. Communication between the GI and your son is critical so if he isn't comfortable withhim moving on to another may have some benefit.

Good luck in your journey

Well i was diagnosed last year july and im thirteen and my docters put me on a modulen diet for 6 weeks no food just modulen (protien shake that helps you gain weight) but now every day i take two cups and i gained 5 kilograms/half a stone back! It was really helpful becuase i actually used to look very pale and green but know i look fine and healthy

Yep, I forgot to mention EEN(exclusive entetal nutrition) or EN(enteral nutrition).

Some choose to do EEN instead of pred to quell inflammation. It has about the same efficacy rate and no nasty side effects like pred. It is the intake of formula only for a given amount of time like 8 weeks. The formula can be otc like boost or px'ed like peptemen. You can choose to drink the formula or take it by ng tube(naso-gastric).

EN is supplementing your diet with the formula. My son did this for a few months. He ate whatever he chose during the day then at night he would insert the ng tube and take in the formula overnight. He would remove the tube in the morning. But you could also drink cans of the formula to supplement. The otc formulas are the most palatable but the px'ed formulas are more broken down for easier absorption.

Imran, I'm thrilled to hear you are feeling so well physically! That is wonderful news.

I read on another thread that the stress of school and meds can get to you sometimes. I do recall that age can be tough without the added burden of Ibd. I hope you celebrate yourself for being so mature in dealing with it all and even offering advice to others. I hope some good things come your way soon. Hang in there!

Hi jdlllfeldmann,
I'm sorry to hear what you and your son have been going through.
I was diagnosed in October, and I have lost around 5 kilos. I'm still trying to put that weight on but I'm finding that as long as I eat small meals constantly, be healthy and wise with my food choices, than my body is getting the sustenance that it needs.
It's just important to make sure he's eating and the food that he's eating is healthy. I know that can be hard when certain foods make it worse - including fruits and vegetables! And when the body just doesn't want to accept any food he may be eating.

Also, if you're not happy with your doctor, then it's totally fine to get a second opinion. Or switching if you choose. People do it all the time, and in the end you want a doctor you like and trust. That's important.

Hope this advice helped in some way :)