• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

GP Treats Me For Ulcer. When do I tell GI?

So after trying to get an appt with my GI I go see my GP yesterday as I could not take my abdominal pain anymore. After examine me and hearing about my intense pain soon after eating he says he thinks it's definitely an ulcer and puts me Carafate. Says I well feel better within a day after taking it. Three doses and it's unreal! Yes I can tell a faint hint of pain but it fades quickly. I have to take 3 pills a day hour before meals for 4-8 weeks.

My question is when do I tell MY GI? I don't see him for another month yet. My GP mentioned getting tested for H. Pylorie. How is this done? Will the Carafate interfere with that testing? I am bummed that I now have to take another pill but I'm finally getting relief.

FYI I mentioned to my GI doc could I possibly have an ulcer 3 months ago and he said no because I was on plenty of antacid meds. Now I don't know how he is going to respond to this :(. Comments appreciated.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
There are various ways to test or H.Pylori:

Blood Test - this method is a little less accurate than the other modes of testing and can’t distinguish between current or past infection as it looks for antibodies.

Urea Breath Test - it is the name suggests. You simply exhale into a bag. It is very accurate for detecting active infection and as a way of tracking the success of treatment.

Stool Test - Again very accurate but I don’t think it is widely used?? Probably because of the breath test.

Gastroscopy - When it comes to diagnosis this would have to be the gold standard as you have the advantage of a biopsy.

Carafate shouldn’t interfere with the testing as H.Pylori is an infection whereas Carafate is an antacid, it treats the symptoms not the cause.

I personally would ring the GI’s office and let them know you were commenced on the drug. If they want to know why you went to see the GP and didn’t consult the GI I would say I tried to get an appointment but to no avail and the pain was far too severe to sit on my hands for 4 weeks and do nothing about it. I would also say…Oh and by the way it seems to be working…could you please tell the GI that too. :)

What other antacids are you on?

Dusty. xxx

Thanks Dusty. I'm on 40 mg Protonix twice a day which according to my GI is a very high dose. I agree I think I will call the office Monday and leave the message for him. Maybe if he wants to do anything further he will get me in. Can the breath test be done in the doctors office?

DustyKat

Super Moderator
40mg twice is double the normal recommended dose as it is usually 20-40mg daily, so yes it is a high dose. In view of this alone i would think a repeat gastroscopy was warranted when it appears to be failing.

The breath test is done at the pathologist’s, so where you normally have blood drawn.

Dusty. xxx