• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Peas Please!

crohnsinct

Just a mom passing along what I am reading. Know your child's body and ability to eat certain foods.

Until today, the first sentence describes me but now load me up!

On the menu tonight..Vegetable Paella with loads of peas!

If you have traditionally thought about green peas as a "starchy vegetable" that cannot provide you with very much in the way of phytonutrients or body systems support, it's time that you change your thinking. Green peas are loaded with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients, and these health-supportive nutrients are provided in a wide range of nutrient categories. For example, in the flavonoid category, green peas provide us with the antioxidants catechin and epicatechin. In the carotenoid category, they offer alpha-carotene and beta-carotene. Their phenolic acids include ferulic and caffeic acid. Their polyphenols include coumestrol. Pisumsaponins I and II and pisomosides A and B are anti-inflammatory phytonutrients found almost exclusively in peas. Antioxidant vitamins provided by green peas include vitamin C and vitamin E, and a good amount of the antioxidant mineral zinc is also found in this amazing food. Yet another key anti-inflammatory nutrient needs to be added to this list, and that nutrient is omega-3 fat. Recent research has shown that green peas are a reliable source of omega-3 fat in the form of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). In one cup of green peas, you can expect to find about 30 milligrams of ALA.

Ordinarily, we would expect this extraordinary list of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory nutrients to be associated with lower risk of most inflammatory diseases, including heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and arthritis. Although large-scale studies on green pea intake and these chronic health problems remain unavailable, researchers have already begun to suggest connections in this area, particularly with respect to type 2 diabetes. We know that chronic, unwanted inflammation and chronic, unwanted oxidative stress increase our risk of type 2 diabetes. We also know that intake of green peas is associated with lowered risk of type 2 diabetes, even though this association has traditionally been understood to involve the strong fiber and protein content of green peas. Researchers now believe that the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory nutrients in greens peas play an equally important role in lowering our risk of this chronic health problem

Recipe, Pretty Pea Please.:thumleft:

I ate peas as a kid but I thought of it as "mom is mad, so she made these".:ylol:

Peas are my one food I refuse to eat just can't gag them down, but Jack absolutely loves them so I do make them for him and the rest of the family like them as well. They just laugh at me as I pick them out of anything.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
We are two peas in a pod Jm!

I hate the little blighters but everyone else in the family loves them!

crohnsinct

Haha..I am not a Pea fan either but I do eat them because they are good for you! Love pea soup though...weird.

Does it matter what kind of peas?

I've got sugar snap peas happily growing in the garden now. I don't usually plant english peas or cow peas until spring. But if one is better than another I might switch up my plantings.

Peas and corn are the 2 foods my surgeon told me to never eat again! I hate peas so no problem with that, corn I do like but can live without.

It's the skins that are the problem, even when I'm doing well these always give me issues.