• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira questions

Just talked with my doc. Going to start the paperwork on the humira injections. Im going from pentasa to Humira, is this normal to jump up in medication this fast?

Only been on pentasa for 2 weeks with symptoms getting drastically worse. Is this something normal also for the pentasa not to work?

Getting nervous about starting humira this early in the game. Eventually if it stops working, what "heavier" drugs would I have to go to then?

Thanks

I went from Pentasa, which made me sick, to Delzicol, which is like Pentasa but did nothing for me, to Humira (also, was on a prednisone taper with all of these). My previous GI suggested this, because she did not want me to use any immunosuppresants due to blood testing. Humira has been working, but my new GI suggested adding 6mp. I was allergic to 6mp and was switched to Imuran, even though the previous GI stated she did not want me to use immunosuppresants. The combo of Humira and Imuran has probably been the best thing for me, so far, even though I have not reached remission. It has allowed me to taper completely off prednisone, even though I have only been off of it for a week and a half, has reduced my D, and has eased a lot of the pain I have. So, I have to say, personally, Humira has been a good thing for me.
As for Humira stopping working, there are other biologics out there like Cimzia, Entyvio (yes, I have not looked into many others and don't know how to spell all of them, as Humira was the first one my GI likes to use), and options such as Remicade. Others may be able to chime in on this, as well, but if you never try Humira, you will not know if it works, even though it may be a scary decision.

Yes thats what im dealing with is you hear all the horror stories. But looking on this site and hearing real people not having all the bad issues makes it somewhat better. Waiting on the doc to call and get all the test set up while the insurance company tries to get out of paying.

I would say if your insurance approves Humira, go to www.Humira.com and get the prescription savings card, which can bring down what you pay to as little as $5 every time you fill it. It saves me about $90-$100 a month.

Pentasa to Humira is a good step...

Did you try any immuno-modulators like Imuran or Purinethol ? there is also methotrexate as another option... but all of them can take up to 3 months to work, so you need cortisone for the start if you have a flare-up.

but, honestly, Pentasa is not a very good drug, it's barely better than the placebo effect... It's a good option for a very mild disease, or when you get the diagnostic the first time.

I'm about to start Humira in a couple of days and I had to stop reading about horror stories on the internet and the 50 billions possible side effects lol You have to focus that it is a very well tolerated drug that can be incredibly effective. Where I'm working, my boss has psoriasis and he is on anti-tnf (Remicade at first and now Enbrel) for over 8 years without any side effects !

Well im into a 2 month flare. Long time symptoms I pushed off to something else until it give me gallstones back in November and had to have my gallbladder removed. My GI agrees the crohn's was the cause. I agree with you about pentasa being mild meds. Only thing is my doc explained to me is they have to try those first knowing in my case, they would not work anyway. I ask him today when do we start trying to get me better and not making the insurance company happy?

Guess its just you see this all the time on tv or what ever, but when you have it, really dont set well. Really a kick in the gut.