• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New here

I am new here, I was diagnosed with crohns after 5 years of constant pain and every test and scan under the sun. They did a capsule endoscopy and my GI told me there were a ton of ulcers in my small intestine. That is when he finally decided I have crohns. My pain is worse on my left side it is there every day. He said it isn't normal to have left side pain that goes into my back sometimes, but because of the ulcers he decided to treat it like crohns.. He started me on prednisone and Imuran, but the pain didn't subside with the use of steroids. He tapered me off the steroids and told me to quit taking the imuran. I am frustrated because I was hoping the Imuran would maybe help, I know it takes about 3 months to work.he has now decided to put me on linzess for ibs it has not helped at all. He has been trying to tell me from the beginning that it isIBS. I know it is not that I have absolutely no symptoms of IBS. I have atypical symptoms of Crohns, I have not lost weight, don't have diahrea but I feel awful most days and it is just affecting my day to day life. Has anyone had similar experiences with their crohns.

Last edited:
Yep !

I have had atypical symptoms of Crohn for many years, too.

15 years ago, an ulcer perforated my bowel, and they just found the disease after the surgery. Before the perforation, I had no symptom, no pain, no diarrhea, I didn't lost any weight.

I've got 2 more surgeries (7 years, and 3 months ago) and most of the time I was fine, until the disease destroyed too much of my bowel and that I need another surgery after a year of pain.

When we have very few classic symptoms from IBS , we are very lucky, however, It gives us a false sense of security, until complications arise...

Hey good luck !! :)

So what side is your pain on. Do u have pain all the time or on and off?
When u have flare ups what r your symptoms? My left side hurts alll the time but when I get worse I get bloated and just feel sick all over and want to stay in bed all day.

I have had every test done that is possible, hidascan , colonoscopy, multiple ct scans, xrays . The one I haven't had is an mri. My dr. Seemed to feel that if there was anything to see then it would have shown up with one of those tests. Im just frustrated.

I'm new here, but I have both right side (ileum) and lower left side (sigmoid colon). When when my left side hurts I get completely bloated and I feel completely wiped out. I've learned that it is because my WBC is elevated (the crappy feeling). Have you had a CBC while you are feeling terrible, and have you ever had Flagyl/Cipro treatment? Also I find that heating pad works wonders on my left side pain, and helps to relax the colon and allow it to release some built up gas. I also learned that Advil - my old go-to pain reliever only makes it much worse.

How did u find your colon was involved? The heating pad helps the only meds that help are dilaudid and Percocet. I try not to take them often but if I wasn't to get anything done them I need to take something. My Dr. Told me not to take ibuprofen because of my ulcers.

My diagnosis started with obstruction in both my small and large intestines, which led to CT, colonoscopy etc., which showed inflammation. However, I had CT three months before my obstruction due to pain and it did not pick up any inflammation and all my tests were normal. I also had a colonoscopy that was normal prior to my obstruction. It was only after the obstruction that the colonoscopy showed chronic inflammation and infection.

Oh and my colonoscopy had biopsies. The biopsies showed the inflammation. My symptoms are very similar to yours without the ulceration. A typical, but from what I've read there's not really a typical presentation with Crohn's. I am experiencing some relief on 4000 mg of Pentasa but it's early in my treatment.

Hi Wellen,

No I'm ambidextrous. I write with my right hand most of the time but use my left hand for everything else, and I can also write with it.