• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Flex sig vs colonscopy

my little penguin

Staff member
So scheduler called to schedule Ds flex sig
Hadn't even spoken to the Gi or the Ibd nurse
Didn't even know that was the plan:ywow:
Ds has a lot of rectal issues
Probably protoctis starting again

I am just not seeing the benefit of a flex sig over a colonscopy since he has to be knocked out for either one

Anyone have just a flex sig after being dx with crohns ?

Still need to speak to the Gi ...

I don't think I'd ever opt for flex Sig with colonoscopy available especially if they've had active disease elsewhere. My husband's niece had issues go unseen due to this at some point during her illness. Her Mom was not pleased.

Wonder if this is an error? My GI ordered a routine colonoscopy earlier this month, and the GI lab mistakenly had me down for a flex sig. (Thankfully I caught the error before the day of the procedure so everything turned out fine!) It's kinda scary how much can get "lost in translation"!

Edit: the flex sig at my GI lab is a fasting and enema prep, if I'm remembering correctly. Has your son recently had a full colonoscopy? Maybe they are trying to spare him the prep?

my little penguin

Staff member
That is good point
His last scope was about a 1.5 years ago

Just need to talk to the Gi
Schedulers typically don't call the day it's ordered more like a week later
Mad that no one bothered to tell me what was going on.

Yeah for me it is the prep. Colonoscopy prep, well you know how that goes. Flex sig prep is 8 hours fasting plus an enema at home. Way easier.

my little penguin

Staff member
Talked to Gi today
It was decided Ds will need an upper egd and lower colonscopy
Scheduler will call back with times soon .

crohnsinct

Sorry FW...I get same day if not within hours calls or return emails. Even on stupid non urgent things. City folk I guess.

There is no excuse to leave a customer waiting for days...worse case you don't have an answer but at least call them and let them know that much.

my little penguin

Staff member
There are secret key words to say and then the Gi knows I need an immediate call ( few hours at most ) vs other messages I leave which are just updates no return call needed unless I ask
24-hour rule that someone will return the call .
That is std for all departments in the hospital .