• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bowels that Hate Me

Growing up, I experienced a touchy stomach. In my teen years I learned I could only drink certain brands of milk at skim only. I went about a month where I couldn't eat cheese. I would get terrible stomach aches. My junior year I had ultrasounds and an Upper GI test where you have to swallow crystals and they watch them digest. Nothing aside a odd nodule growth on my spleen was found. The following year (yes, I am a teen mom) I got pregnant with my son and stomach pains were increasing. At one point we thought I was having a miscarriage. Ultrasounds showed a mass in my gall bladder that could not be defined as a stone or polyp. Basically they didn't know and couldn't do anything as I was pregnant. Later it became a high risk pregnancy as I constantly went into labor...

After I had recovered from my csection my doctor sent mr to the surgeon. He didn't believe it was my gall bladder but decided to take it pending a scope of my stomach. They found white pockets and tears in my stomach but the test results were cancer free. So an hour lafter getting those in I was put under again and had my gall bladder removed.

The doctor had told me I might have to poo more often. I wish I could force him to follow me around. The first few.months weren't as terrible, but it got worse.

I tried the prescription powder and it didn't work. I went on probiotics, which made me gassy. I have kept food journals. I went vegetarian for a bit. Literally food itself is my trigger. Some things are a definite others are random.

I had a colonoscopy done which only showed hemorrhoids. Which they said was a result of the loose stools.

I can be sitting at the table and halfway through have to hurry to the potty.

For awhile I couldn't leave town. I couldn't be away from a toilet. I still freak out sometimes if its busy. I can't work in a job where I can't just get up and go. Part of its mental now. I get the terrible urge and pain and there not be anything.

I live on Immodium. A lot of it. I try to avoid definite triggers. I do not do dinner dates. Wouldn't that be embarrassing having a flare leaving a date sitting there waiting on me.

The other day I bought a diaper like pad because something set me off at the pizza place. I was in the bathroom 30 min and honestly felt like I wouldn't make it home.

Things aren't as bad as they used to be. I try peppermint tea. Fiber. Avoid things I know I can't have. I drink tons of water. I stay in my sad job because I know I can't go anywhere else I don't have unlimited access to the bathroom. Knowing I can't go if needed is a surefire way to make me feel like I have to.

I feel like I am barely living. After my surgery I learned 1 in 4 people have this problem after having a gall bladder removed. Which wasn't diseased as much as just had an imbedded stone against the lining. If I had known I would have been in that 1/4 I never would have let them take it. Those pains are nothing like this. And supposedly there is no cure. I want to live free of this. Be able to go shopping in places without public toilets. Go to concerts. Go on nature walks. Not have a dozen empty Immodium bottles falling out of my bag.

Flypiggie,

I'm so sorry to hear all you are dealing with, it sounds like an awful way to live. Most of my family has had their gall bladders removed, and none of them had such a reaction. Did they do biopsies with the colonoscopy? Has there been any discussion with your doctor about IBD? Have there been other tests? Dealing with all of this on top of being a young mother must really be overwhelming. It can be very difficult being your own advocate with Doctors sometimes, but I hope you are pushing for more answers. Thanks for sharing and I hope things get better for you!

Supposedly my colonoscopy showed a nice healthy colon. IBD is really just an umbrella term and what works for some doesn't work for others. I have more good days than bad nowadays but not enough to say I'm living a fully productive life.

Supposedly my colonoscopy showed a nice healthy colon. IBD is really just an umbrella term and what works for some doesn't work for others. I have more good days than bad nowadays but not enough to say I'm living a fully productive life.
IBS is an umbrella term, not IBD.

There is no "not good enough" for this forum--everyone is welcome. I just want to make the distinction that irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is not the same as inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) such as Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, microscopic colitis, etc.

Welcome to the forum!

Im so sick of message boards where ppl constantly correct each other or judge on who belongs depending on the severity or circumstances on how they got sick. I've been looking and haven't found anyone here who has constant diarrhea after gall bladder surgery so obviously I am the odd man out so I will continue my search elsewhere. I wish y'all luck and stability in managing your toilet woes.

I'm sure 2thfairy didn't mean any offense or harm with the correction flypiggie - everyone has a lot going on who are members of this forum, ive only just joined but I have only genuinely noticed that everyone is friendly and willing to help everyone and anyone even if their conditions aren't similar. I hope you are ok and find someone else with similar symptoms to you but please don't feel pushed from a forum that could be a great help ☺☺☺

Flypiggie:

I had my gallbladder removed in November. This was due to my crohn's. I am still having trouble with all my symptoms. My GI doc is going through the motions to get me on Humira. So now you have someone in the same boat as u with the BM's after gallbladder removal.

Flypiggie:

Sorry I just read your first post. I would recommend to stay away from fiber. You go to the potty enough without adding food to make you go more. I stay away from most vegetables except carrots, green beans, and zucchini. Iceburg lettuce runs through me in about 5 min. Only lettuce I can eat is the BUTTER LETTUCE. I eat alot of fish, rice, and taters. There is alot of people in this forum that always as symptoms no matter what they do. "Im included". Its a hit and miss thing where you have to find out what works. Sorry you are having a hard time and I hope u will change your mind about this forum. I have gotten alot of information form this place.

DX with CD January 2015
Current meds.
Pentasa 4000mg a day
Prednisone 40mg a day
Nexium 40mg a day
Bentyl 60mg a day
Norco 10-325 when needed
Z-pack for sinus infection

Future meds.
Waiting on approval for Humira 40mg bi-weekly

Father to 3
Husband to 1

Flypiggie: I hope you will stay around. It is not my intention to exclude you, only to make sure everyone reading this understands there is a difference between IBD and IBS. The treatment is very different between the two. Also, MANY of us here were initially treated for IBS and pushed aside while we suffered, only to years later be correctly diagnosed and given proper treatment for our ails. It is so important that you keep pushing your doctor if you believe you have something more going on than IBS. IBS is a blanket diagnosis with no clear treatment and is often dismissed by every other doctor once you are labeled with it. Therefore, yes, it becomes a sore subject around here when the two are mistakenly mixed up.

You are not alone with the diarrhea after having your gallbladder removed. There are many many many people with this problem and there are others on this forum with it as well. There are people on this forum with IBS and some with IBD *and* IBS at the same time.

No matter what the reason for the problems you are having, this is a good place to be to talk with others and get helpful information...and to vent when the whole mess is just too much to deal with.

flypiggie.

2thFairy did not mean to offend you. Please don't leave. This forum has been a lifesaver for me. Most people, including 2thFairy, are pretty nice. We accept all who are effected by this damned disease, or who may be suffering from it while undiagnosed.