• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hearing Loss

Over the last couple of months J has been complaining about loosing his hearing it has now got to the point that he can hardly hear a thing, out of either ear. Seen a GP apparently there is a huge build up of fluid behind ear drum in both ears! Was initially given a nasal spray to try but after going back he's now been given a weeks worth of steroids.

I'm afraid I did the whole 'google' thing.... Can hearing loss really be related to Crohns? My GP thought not!

Ands x

my little penguin

Staff member
Can you see an ent ?
They would be best to treat hearing and fluid ear issues ?
I would ask your Gi about the fluid on his ears .

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
My nonCrohn's son had lots of issues with fluid and it really effected his hearing. I'd say the fluid is a good sign it isn't Crohn's. It is hard to treat and takes 1-3 months to get it to reabsorb! My son's ENT had him doing some exercises like plugging his nose while he drank through a straw. If your son doesn't get better within a month, I'd definitely get him to an ENT. My son finally ended up having his tonsils and adenoids removed.

Definitely see an ENT. Also, look into a chiropractor if you don't want him on more meds. I know a few people who have used them for their kiddos and ear infections.

I also reccomend an ENT. This problem runs in our family unfortunately. We have dealt with it with one of our kids as well.