Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Cooking with Questran

02-05-2015, 01:39 PM   #1
Pointy_ears
Forum Monitor

Cooking with Questran

Hey all! Been for a check up and the gastro thinks that some diarrheah I've been having lately is due to bike salt malabsorption. He's asked me to take Questran once a day but I heard it's really yucky!

How do you all take it and is there anything I can put it in that makes it passable?
Meds: Azathioprine

"It's life Jim but not as we know it!"
02-05-2015, 04:43 PM   #2
Layla

My Support Groups:
I don't find it yucky at all! Have you tried it?

I wouldn't want to cook with it as it's citrusy and sweet and I rarely eat anything sweet and I wonder how you would control the dosage.

I guess you could put it in lemon sorbet....

The biggest problem I have with it is that you have to take other medication either 2 hours before or 4 hours after, or something like that which means I can really only take it before dinner when I get much better results if I take it before breakfast.
02-05-2015, 08:05 PM   #3
Pointy_ears
Forum Monitor

I haven't tried it yet, I was wondering about mixing it with Apple and mango juice. The post title was more of a joke!

I heard it's quite bitter and grainy. I guess sweet and citrus is better!
02-05-2015, 10:49 PM   #4
Pipersgram

Hi pointy_ears
I've been on questran for years! It's a bit grainy and bitter
When I first started questran I took it 3 times a day, I now take 1 1/2 scoop of questran in tall glass of water first thing in the morning.
It's not that bad, sure helped me with diarrhea problem.
Hoping it helps you.
02-07-2015, 03:08 AM   #5
Layla

My Support Groups:
Well it sounds like there are a few different Questrans out there. I don't have a choice, questran Lite is my only option even if I do have to pay for it myself.
Stupidly it contains aspartame (which it doesn't say on the box, cause that would be information!) so I'd rather have the grainy and bitter kind!

On that note, has anyone tried Colestid? It's supposed to be similar but is completely funded here and looks like it doesn't contain Aspartame or hopefully any other sweeteners.

I also use Konsyl-D but that also has (artificial? I don't know cause it only lists active ingedients) sweeteners, WHY does everything have to be sweet?????
02-07-2015, 01:43 PM   #6
Marlena

Everything sweet annoys me, too, like lactose free milk - I'd rather use the pills

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Cooking with Questran