Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Atypical? More often constipated than diarrhea.

02-09-2015, 05:35 PM   #1
brooklyn23

Atypical? More often constipated than diarrhea.

One of the reasons i started seeking endometriosis as a possible diagnosis was because I never fit the diarrhea symptom of Crohn's and that seems to be the numero uno thing. More often, I become constipated for days on end. When I was on pentasa I was regular like clockwork.

I know my colon is unaffected because my colonoscopy came back perfectly normal, and I've heard that Crohn's higher in the digestive tract can lead to constipation. Is this true?
02-09-2015, 09:50 PM   #2
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Ds has constipation - very little diarrhea
His Ti had multiply granulomas at dx .
Confirmed crohns by three seperate Gi at two seperate hospitals
So extremely possible
He still takes daily miralax
In addition to humira and Mtx

Glad the pentasa is working
02-10-2015, 01:39 AM   #3
lenny
My son went undiagnosed for a couple of years..was only constipated, never diarrhea. Nearly 2 years after diagnosis, he's just recently started to suffer from diarrhea. His worst was 8 times in a 24 hour period.
02-10-2015, 09:12 AM   #4
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
True! My daughter waited 3 years for her dx because she didn't "fit the mold" and no one would listen to us. Constipation, healthy weight, tall for her age. Scopes and biopsies confirmed Crohns.
Vit d 2000IU
Multi vitamin plus iron
Calcium

Previously used - Prednisone, Prevacid, Enteral Nutrition, Methotrexate oral and injections, Folic Acid, Probiotics, Cortofoam

Daughter T dx 1/2/15 at age 11
Vitaligo, Precoscious puberty & Crohn's
Remicade
Vit D 2000IU

Previously used, Exclusive Enteral Nutrition, Methotrexate (injections and oral), Folic Acid, Entocort,IBD-AID Diet
02-11-2015, 03:29 AM   #5
Forum Monitor

I always used to be constipated rather than having diarrhea and I think not having the typical Crohn's symptom was a big part of the reason that I went undiagnosed for 10 years. Also I think this certainly contributed to my disease being considered less severe than those who were having more bms each day.

I have Crohn's in the small bowel so that does fit what you say but I don't know if that typically is correlated. While we are 'atypical' I don't think that we are quite as atypical as people think - at least not to the extent that doctors should be convinced we don't have Crohn's because we don't have diarrhea.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Atypical? More often constipated than diarrhea.