• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hoping for the answer

Hi! Im a 23 year old female from the UK and I have suffered with my bowels for 10 years (if not more). I was that embarrassed teenager who denied what was happening and I accepted it as my normal and avoided telling my GP.

In 2012 I tested negative for Coeliac and then freaked when my GP wanted to refer me for a colonoscopy. I left the room and never mentioned my bowels to the Dr again until Dec 2014. I had spent 8 years trying to treat it like it was IBS so I could avoid the dr's but that didnt work.

I also suffer from chronic urticaria and to try treat that I take 300mg ciclosporin daily (immunesuppression) which I began in September 2012. To my surprise, my bowels reacted very well to this medication which immediately got me thinking - ciclosporin is a treatment for IBD. So in December 2014 I decided to stop been embarrassed and get this sorted out. Around this time I found out my Uncle and Grandad and 2 Great aunties (all on my mums side of the family) have crohns too along with fistulas and lots of other problems.

My main issues are diarrhea and abdo pain - constantly feeling uncomfortable and then feeling pain after meals especially when it flares up. During the bad times I can drop 10-14lbs easily but then when it calms down I gain it back plus more which made me so overweight! The joint pain is crippling at times to the point I can't walk or straighten my arm or wrist. And the fatigue is just killing me slowly Im sure. I spend the majority of my time in bed or laying down resting once I get home from work (where I sit on my bum all day). The diarrhea is 'normal' for me as well as very loose unformed stools. A normal healthy and formed BM leaves me feeling delighted and this is very rare unfortunately. There have been occasions where I have blood in my stools and times where I have had extremely dark /verging on black stools. My poor mouth gets around 2 ulcers per month and has been like that since I was 6 years old, thankfully I loved bonjella!

My wonderfully kind GP referred me in December 14 to see a GI and I was fortunate and lucky enough to get offered Private treatment via the NHS. My GI is amazing and he booked me in for the colonoscopy. Last Wednesday, after 8 attempts to get the IV into a vein, I went to the land of nod whilst he stuck his camera into my colon. I have no recollection and woke up demanding toast.

Tonight after the longest 6 days I finally get my answers but I have this gut feeling (pun intended) that he will say he found nothing and I will be left feeling defeated. However, I have written a list detailing all my symptoms so I don't forget to mention anything and I am going to request he does an endoscopy and even pill cam because I need answers. He was the one who told me I need the answers so Im crossing my fingers he doesn't dismiss me and tell me it's IBS. I know for certain its not IBS.

I apologise for how badly written this is, I don't know why but i typed as it came to me without thinking of how it would flow.

If anything I want the diagnosis of an IBD - then I can begin trying treatments and have an answer as to why my bowels have dominated half of my life.

I will update tonight once I find out my results!!

H x

So I saw my GI last night and he said the scope and the 9 biopsies of my colon were clear which was good news the in the sense I don't have colitis or crohns
Colitis but that doesn't mean he's ruling our Crohns so in 3 weeks I'm having he endoscopy done...awake! My friends think I'm mad but I really want to see my insides. I'm shocked he didn't see anything because I feel particular pain in my lower abdomen.

He really liked my list of the symptoms I suffer and he kept it and put it in my notes for future reference. It was nice that for once my symptoms were been looked at as a whole rather than individual conditions.

So the waiting game continues...

The first time I had a gastroscopy (or endoscopy as people seem to say here) I wimped out and had the sedative. But the second time, a year or so ago, I was determined to do it awake. It's not so bad; it doesn't take that long, but having the tube down your throat is pretty unpleasant and I think I did well only panicking the once.

The colonoscopy and gastroscopy can only look into the ends of the small bowel (which is 7 metres long), so they can't rule out Crohns. In my case they then sent me for a CT Scan, and that made things clear.

Good luck with it. Unfortunately the process takes time, but you need to go through the process.